( CHAPTER ONE - REPERCUSSION )

CHAPTER ONE: REPERCUSSION

 ( FEBRUARY 24th, 2150 POLIS )

 ( FEBRUARY 24th, 2150 — POLIS )

IT HAD BEEN THEIR rightful home before they had all arrived. What once was a great city that sheltered everyone was now the city bathing in blood, colored crimson running through the cracks of stone and staining them red with the memory of what these newcomers had done to their city.

 Her face was washed bare with several specks of blood from another warrior, while only tears that she wept stained her pale face. Various intricate braids decorated her hair which was colored a beautiful white, glowing silver in the scorching sun. Asteria blinked back at the sight of a dead boy growing limp, slowly moving onto his back as the direful atmosphere had finally sunk in around them. The haziness that flooded her mind was now clear once again, and the sinking feeling of guilt and sorrow flooded onto her features when she realized exactly what she had done.

  She had scurried backwards at first, horror written in her eyes as she stumbled away but then, she reached out the grab the boy by his shoulders, recognizing that the person she held in her arms was no more than fifteen. "what have they done?" she spoke out in complete horror as the boy stared back at her, the light in his eyes were beginning to dim as his whole life-force was sucked dry.

  "the...sky.." the boy spoke out, his voice was coming out so strained from the weeks without drinking water, the weeks where he felt no pain and now he wanted to go back to the city. The city where dreams came true, where no man and women would have to feel pain anymore, where they felt like they belonged. 

 Asteria's eyes widened as she looked down, panick began to flood her features as his arms were going limp while his eyes stirred. "What about the sky?" She whispered back, but when she got no reply; she began to shake him violently. "No, please.."

 "Skaikru" his eyes opened for just a moment as the words left his lips barely above a whisper. 

 Asteria blinked back with disbelief, and the image that someone so young had just died in her arms and she couldn't do a damn thing. The chaos and devastation had begun to sweep over the crowded streets of the beloved Grounder capital as everyone awoken from their unknown slumber, and Asteria's memories began to flood back into her mind.

 She sat there frozen in complete numbness as the life of the boy in her arms had faded away, when she felt his body relax in her arms, Asteria quickly looked down. Her mouth went dry with regret but a panicked low breath escaped from behind her cracked lips as she leaned forward, checking the pulse of the now dead man underneath her. 

 He was dead. 

 Asteria blinked back more tears as she rose from the cobble stone road, her blue eyes looking up at the tower, seeing a man fall from twenty feet and splat onto the ground. Her scream got caught within her throat as her eyes widened from the horror she had just witnessed. She couldn't even comprehend how all this happened to quickly, it was like her mind got wiped clean as soon as she awoken and all that remanded was the reminder of the pain she tried to get rid off, and the memory of the white chip she consumed.