( CHAPTER FOUR - THE COMMANDER AND THE THIEF)

CHAPTER FOUR - THE COMMANDER AND THE THIEF

 ( FEBRUARY 24th, 2150 POLIS )

 ( FEBRUARY 24th, 2150 — POLIS )

EVERYONE KNEW THAT PHOENIX AND COMMANDER LEXA WERE INSEPARABLE.

The two young women found each-other at the worst timing that would make any other warrior cringe who was lucky enough to hear the story from Phoenix's lips. She could vividly remember the day she had accidentally ran right into the newly crowned Commander, just a year after she had won the conclave.

 Phoenix would still remember how Lexa's green eyes had glimmered in the sunlight when her rusted sword clanked against the stone roads of the market, beneath Polis. The sword had been passed down from generations on her father's side, a family heirloom that she still wished she had kept. The pelts she had stolen from one of the market stands were now spilling out of her bag, and Lexa looked down at her with interest as Phoenix bowed down onto her knees.

"I do hope that you bartered for those pelts. Stealing from the clans is punishable by banishment." Lexa told her while her guard, Gustus looked down at the fourteen year old with distrust in his eyes.

"Forgive me Heda—" Phoenix's voice shook as she kept her eyes towards the ground.

"—Heda, we should not continue conversation with children of traitors if we want to unite the clans." Gustus put his hand in front of the Commander while looking down at the child, while Lexa gave him a side glare.

Phoenix hated that name, and she hated it even more when people would whisper it as she walked past the market.

"Child of a traitor?" Lexa whispered while looking back at her guard, her gaze looked back at the brunette for a second as she learned that her father had been a royal guard for Queen Nia, but had been banished due to falling in love with a Trikru warrior.

 Gustus had insisted that the Commander banish the young thief but Lexa's stone expression stared down at the seventeen year old, her finger's making a request for her guard to quiet down. If a young woman could get in and out of a crowded market with stolen goods in her possession, then this young girl could be more valuable alive than dead, besides, Lexa felt herself gravitating towards her.

 Gustus had tried to reason with Lexa that this would be disastrous decision, stating that traitors blood was infecting her veins but Lexa could see a teenage girl trapped in a world that she did not want to live in.

 Months had passed quickly as Lexa taught Phoenix everything she knew about hand to hand combat, fighting techniques, and how to fight on a battle field. Even when the training occurred, the war happening outside the Trikru borders didn't cease and the Ice Nation fought for Phoenix's home, their lands. That was when Costia had been captured by the Ice Nation queen as Phoenix took her to battle.