Chapter 19 (Catching fire)

A/N Mentions of forced prostitution, I don't like writing about stuff like that but Katniss mentions that the attractive victors were bought and sold by Capital citizens.    

Viktor warned Yuuri about what happens to attractive victors. 

"I am bought and sold, my body I mean. The Capital forces me to do it, if I didn't do it they would kill anyone I loved. It's been happening since I turned sixteen" 

Yuuri shivered in fear at his words. 

"That will happen to me won't it" 

"The whole world knows about us being together so hopefully it won't happen, if it does it won't be often." 

"Well I am not losing my virginity to a stranger" Yuuri grabs Viktor and kissed him hard, trying not to think about the fact that Viktor had to deal with that for nine years alone. 

Viktor was right, since they are a couple they are mostly left alone by the sleazy Capital patrons. Occasionally one of them would be taken for a day and return distressed and in need of a hug from their lover. 

Viktor and Chris started making plans to escape into the woods after Viktor realized Yuuri couldn't handle the nights when he was pulled from Viktor's arms and Chris had to deal with Viktor's old regulars. 

Then one day on the reaping of the 74th hunger games four years later, there was a volunteer from District twelve who changed everything

Then one day on the reaping of the 74th hunger games four years later, there was a volunteer from District twelve who changed everything. Viktor, Yuuri and Chris were all at the Capital for the games and in fact saw Katniss Everdeen. They watched as she and her lover Peeta Mellark defied the Capital and both survived the 74th hunger games, at first Yuuri, Chris and Viktor were happy. For a whole year they were not taken from their homes to the Capital and they even cheered for Katniss and Peeta when they visited District one. Viktor was continuing his plans to prepare for their escape with Chris when they got some news that shocked them to the core. 

"The tributes for the 75th hunger games will be reaped from the existing pool of victors in each district" 

"Victors?!" Yuuri starts hyperventilating on the couch in his home. 

"Yuuri Hun it's okay you won't get picked" Viktor holds the trembling boy to his chest. 

"I can't... I can't go back!" 

"I know, if they call your name I will volunteer" 

Yuuri gasps, he was so scared thinking about himself that he forgot Viktor could be forced back in too. 

"Don't leave me" 

"Yuuri my love, there are heaps of District one male victors, they won't pick either of us" 

Yuuri buries his head against Viktor's chest. 

"We have suffered enough" 

Viktor's heart shatters at his beloved's words. 

"I know" 

They hold each other close for the whole night. 

The day of the reaping comes and Yuuri is in a very bad way, Viktor holds him close as they stand in the square with the other victors. The Capital escort pulls the girls slip first. 

"Cashmere Riches" 

The blonde victor runs enthusiastically up to the stage, Yuuri can't understand why she would want to go back to the place that haunts his nightmares. The escort reaches into the boys' bowl and Yuuri's heart stops as he squeezes Viktor tightly. 

"Gloss Riches" 

Oh thank god! 

Yuuri hugs Viktor and lets out the breath he had been holding, Viktor lifts Yuuri up and kisses him. 

"Yuuri!" 

They laugh in relief as the brother and sister stand on stage smiling away. 

"Oh god" Viktor stops and his face drops. 

"Chris" Yuuri's face drops too, they have become good friends. 

They go to the Capital for the games and find out that Chris was not picked either, the three friends hug by the chariots. 

Viktor and Chris have finally sorted the escape plan, they will all go back to District one, take Yuuri's family, Viktor's dog and stop by District two to pick up Chris' lover before fleeing into the forest via transport truck that Chris learned to drive, out of the District. 

They can sense an uprising coming and although they do want to fight against the Capital's tyranny, Viktor thinks that the victors will all be wiped out first and he isn't taking any chances when it comes to Yuuri. 

More often than not, his raven-haired lover wakes screaming either Phichit or Yuri Plisetsky's names but Viktor is always there for him. Yuuri is always there for Viktor as well when he screams Yakov, Celestino or Diya who, Yuuri remembers, is the girl Viktor killed. 

Viktor killed one and Yuuri killed two in the games, a fact that pops into Yuuri head often when he starts to have a panic attack. 

Yuuri catches a glimpse of Katniss before she stands on her chariot, every district went crazy over her, some rebelled with her. 

All Yuuri craves is a safe life with Viktor but the universe seems to be against him.

They watch the games with Chris until the end and are shocked when Katniss blows up the arena and everything goes black.

"We have to get out of here" Viktor says. 

Chris pulls them along. "Right let's get to the train" He says firmly.

They sneak out of the Capital reasonably easily since everyone is occupied with Katniss in the arena. 

They make it back to District one, grab Yuuri's family and Viktor's dog before jumping into a truck and driving away from the District. 

They try to get into District two but it's all on lockdown, Chris makes the heart-breaking decision to leave his lover behind so he can save his best friend, His friend's lover and his lover's family. 

He drives as far as he can before they have to ditch the truck and walk into the woods. The group of five, plus a poodle, make a life for themselves in the forest using the three victors' survival skills.