Thought You Were Dead

It had been a truly disheartening couple of weeks for the keeper of the runners. After Y/N disappeared, Minho went cold. The Glade was falling apart, but Minho just kept running. It was all he could do.

    Luckily, his despondence had payed off. He and Thomas found a way out. They'd lost Gally, Alby, and Chuck all the while along with other boys. But, they were out, soaring above the maze in a helicopter.

    Minho's heart broke when they flew over the section of the maze he'd lost Y/N in. There was that small little patch of green with a pool of water in the middle. She had to have found a way out. But his hope was faltering. What if they'd left her behind? What if he really had heard someone call her name?

    One might think showers and clean clothes would rise Minho's spirits, but he felt completely numb. As blood and dirt ran down his legs into the drain, so did all of his hope. Maybe she really was gone.

    Minho refused to eat the food which had been placed in front of him. Eating a meal without his running partner was something he never did.

    The rest of the boys watched the keeper of the runners with concern. After he'd lost Y/N, the runner had gone cold and wasn't really himself. But now, he looked sickly and lonely, sitting beneath the pale light.

    "Minho... if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be here." Thomas put a hand on Minho's shoulder, but his friend retracted.

    "And Y/N would still be here if it wasn't for me." He said sharply, not even lifting his eyes.

    "You can't blame yourself, Minho." Newt scoffed. "Hell, she probably got out of the maze herself."

    "And gone where? You saw the scorch." Aggravation was rising in Minho's voice as he clenched his fists. The mere idea that she could be somewhere out there, dead, or still lost in the maze clawed at his heart like a million blades.

    "You said she was stronger than any of us, don't start doubting her now." Newt emphasized.

    Minho couldn't even muster a response. It wasn't worth it. He shut his eyes tight and rest his head in his hands, wishing this would all be over soon. Seeming weak was the last thing he wanted, but he'd stopped caring. Losing her was something he thought he could push through, like running the maze, but it wasn't. It just hurt more and more everyday. He thought he could believe she was still alive, but it just felt like he was lying to himself.

    "Holy shit." Thomas smacked the table and then Minho's arm. "Minho! Look!"

    The boy raised his head begrudgingly. Knowing Thomas, there was some guard with a weird haircut. "What?" He muttered.

    "I swear to god it was Y/N." He said breathlessly.

    Minho straightened up immediately, the fire in his eyes reigniting. It felt like his stomach had dropped into a dark abyss and his heart was pumping, almost painfully quickly. "What?!" He asked again.

    That was when he saw the familiar frame. A girl was being escorted down the hall by two guards, both gripping her arms tightly. He didn't like it one bit.

    The runner leapt over the table, knocking his food everywhere. "Y/N!!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, racing through the hall. The rest of the boys just stared in disbelief, some whispers passed around, boys still sure that she was dead.

    Her frame disappeared behind the wall and Minho sprinted towards the next window. A few seconds past and then he could see the guards approaching again. That was when he began pounding on the window, screaming her name.

    Once close enough, he saw Y/N stop dead in her tracks. Those deep Y/E/C eyes wide, astounded. It seemed that her legs gave out from beneath her because the guards had to hold her up.

    The girl craned her neck around as she was pushed forwards. She looked... sad. Minho wasn't sure why, but he was going to find out. He needed to see her again.

    Racing to the next window, he began slamming his fists into it ever more forcefully than the last time. Cracks began to spider in the glass. Y/N wanted to tell him to stop. This place wasn't like the Glade one bit and they wouldn't take missing someone as a valid reason for destruction of property.

    Suddenly, Minho's fist broke through the glass and one of the guards let Y/N go. She saw her chance and broke away from the second guard and began racing down the hall towards the door to the cafeteria. Minho ginned at the guards who stood both speechless and devoid of their prisoner.

    The runner then turned to see Y/N already at the last window, careening around the corner and making her way for the door. Three guards stood waiting, ready to catch her.

    But she was better than that and Minho knew it. As she rounded the corner, Y/N slid beneath the strong arms of the guards and jumped up, turning to them with her middle fingers raised.

    A guy, who Minho knew as Rat Man stepped up from behind the guards. "You know, all we had to do was run one more test and then we would have reunited you with them. But, instead, you had to make and entire show out of it. Go ahead." He shrugged, easing the guards and making them lower their guns.

    "You stole me away from them, making them believe I was dead, and making me think I'd never see them again. Of course this was going to happen!" Y/N snarled. She wanted to punch Janson on the spot because she knew he was the one behind making her do what she did to Gally. But, she knew it wouldn't be the best thing to say in front of the rest of the Gladers.

    As Y/N turned to march towards her friends, her body was sent flying back into the floor. Her vision was starry and lungs ached from the sudden impact, but she could feel a warm breath on her neck and arms wrapped beneath hers.

    Minho sat atop the girl, closing himself around her as tightly as he could. Within seconds, Y/N could feel his tears falling into her hair.

    "I thought you were shuckin' dead." He sobbed, his lungs stifling with each breath.

    "Yeah, well. Too bad. I'm alive." Y/N rolled here eyes and hugged her best friend back tightly. The runner rest his forehead agains the girls and took in a sharp breath, trying to stop the tears.

    "Alright, Minho, that's enough." Newt giggled lightly as he helped Thomas pry the runner from Y/N's body. Newt helped her stand and drew her in for a hug, followed by Thomas, and then Minho again.