Back Into The World

Y/N woke to nothing other than the sound of footsteps scuffling around the outside of her tent. The sun was rising, emitting just enough light for her to be able to make out the shadows of two people, one just slightly taller than the other. One, she knew immediately was Thomas. Even by his shadow, his mannerisms could never be mistaken for anyone else. The other person who stood with him, though, Y/N couldn't quite make out. Tall, slender and slow moving.

Lost in thought, Y/N jolted back in defence the moment Thomas popped his head into Y/N's tent. He was surprised at first to find her already awake, but a small smile quickly crossed his features.

"Alright," Thomas said in a hushed voice. "If I introduce you to who's out here, promise you'll be quiet?"

Y/N nodded, attempting to wipe away the sleep from her eyes. All of the sudden, her heart was beating rapidly and her palms began to sweat. She was nervous. Why?

When Thomas moved away, and Y/N peered outside of her tent, she knew why her insides were tossing and turning so much. There stood a boy. A very familiar one at that. A long lost friend.

Y/N yelped and threw the tarp of her tent over the doorway, stumbling back and falling back onto her bed. She could hardly control her breath, her entire body shaking and mind racing. She was dreaming. Had to be. Time after time, she pinched herself, slapped herself and counted her fingers, just waiting for the moment she'd wake up. Though, she never did.

Maybe her tired eyes had mistaken her. Who she had seen wasn't alive. Even though they had the flare, she watched them die. He had taken a knife to his chest. She watched as Thomas abandoned his body. She remembered kneeling there at his side while the city fell down all around them.

"You alright, love?"

The haunting voice slammed into Y/N's ear drums and she instinctively reached up to cover them. Her eyes were closed tight, knees pulled to her chest. If this was a dream, it was a cruel one. A very, very brutal one. Finding Alby alive was one thing, causing more emotional turmoil than imaginable. But this? This was something else.

The boy who had entered the tent with Thomas knelt down beside the girl and gently pried one of her arms from her head. He sent her a soft smile. A smile she thought she would never see again.

"Are you real?" She croaked. "Am I dead?"

"Well, I have every reason to believe I'm real. And you're certainly not dead." The boy laughed.

"You're not dead." Y/N pointed to him in disbelief. "Newt I watched—"

"Well, we watched Gally die too, didn't we? And guess what? He's here with us." Newt said.

"B—But he was immune—you had the flare—"

"I did," Newt admitted, standing up, hauling Y/N with him. "But, I started to get better. Some of the other survivors in the city helped patch me up, and day by day, the flare started to leave my systems. Now, I feel alright."

"Wh—"

"Aye!" A violent voice sounded from outside of the tent. "What's going on?"

"Minho, it's ok—" Y/N said softly, eyes never leaving Newt. "You can—"

Minho didn't wait for Y/N to finish to barge in. Y/N and the others expected the worlds largest smile to cross Minho's face. Expected him to crash into Newt and smack his face a few times, just to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

But the former keeper of the runners did the complete opposite. The moment he locked eyes with Newt, his entire body tensed. He then stumbled back out of the tent, his footsteps thundering away from the tent absurdly fast.

The three in the tent all shared confused glances, waiting hopefully to hear the footsteps coming back for them. But, the never came. The sound that next hit their ears was that of the rover's engine firing.

"Oh no—" Y/N's face fell and both Newt and Thomas knew something bad was going on. Before she could run out after Minho, Thomas grabbed her arm.

"Tell us what's going on. Somethings not right and I know it." He said sternly, holding Y/N's arm tight.

She was afraid to speak. How would they take the news? Right now, it didn't matter. Minho was about to do something stupid and reckless unless they got to him first, and Newt was alive. "We found Alby. He was alive."

"Alby's alive!?" Newt yelped.

Y/N nodded and let out a sharp breath. "I'll explain later. But I'm guessing that since you were partially immune, Minho thinks Alby is too, so he's going back to find him."

"What the hell are we standing here for then?!" Newt snapped. "Lets go!"

_______

_______

A/N: Sorry the chapter is so short! But I've been super busy working on a new Newt fic that I'm actually kinda excited about. The first part should be out sometime this week for anyone who's interested!