Puppy Love

This chapter has NOT been edited.

***

I woke up to an empty bed, sore muscles and bruised neck. If it was possible, I would have slept the whole day but remembering where I was and realising it was already past midday, I forced myself awake. 

"You're alive!" Faith grinned as she pushed her beautiful dark locks behind her ear. "I was just about to wake you up." 

"Why?" I asked as I tightened the scarf around my neck. 

"Because Mama wants to go on a picnic!" she squealed. "I'm so excited. The Clement siblings are going to be there!" 

"Picnic? And who?" I groaned. "I'd rather continue to sleep!" 

"You can't! These outings are the best things to ever happen in our family. You can't sit out on it!" she dramatically whined.  

"Who is going to be there?" I asked, suddenly wondering if the Pierce family was going to be there. 

"Just our family, the Clements and a few other families," she replied, not really answering my question.  

"Will I see anyone from your cousin's birthday party?" I pressed. 

She thought about it before replying, "This is mostly just between our immediate family and some of our closest friends. So there's no other family members or business partners in attendance." 

I nodded with a smile. 

"But you're probably going to burn to death in that outfit," she suddenly giggled, making me awkwardly shrug. 

After rummaging through Daniel's closet, there was literally not a single thing I could wear that would cover up the hickeys on my neck. Even when I did find something suitable, the size was too big so they still showed. So I opted for my outfit from the previous day topped with one of Daniel's soccer team scarves. And yes, I was boiling. 

"I'm fine," I lied with a faux smile. 

Faith suddenly started laughing before she pulled me towards the room right across from Daniel's. 

"Our walls are pretty thin," she said with a grin, "I had to sleep with my headphones on last night." 

She winked at me before skipping towards her room. I felt my face burn and my breath hitch in my throat. This can't be real. 

"Don't worry, my parents are on the floor above us so they wouldn't have heard a peep."

"That's nice knowing," I forced out. 

"But I heard and as traumatised as I am, I still like you so I'll help you out," she continued to grin. 

"How old are you again?" I asked, hoping I didn't actually traumatise a kid. In my eyes, she looked as if she was ten but realistically she was a bit too well spoken to be that young. 

"I'm seventeen." she smiled. I sighed relief, feeling glad she was much older than I had expected. Still uncomfortable that she heard everything that went on last night but glad she wasn't a baby.

"Anyways," she began as she pulled out a make-up kit, "I'll help you hide those so you don't burn to death." 

"Hide what?" I asked with an innocent smile. 

She giggled and lightly punched my shoulder before pulling the scarf off. 

"I'm really not comfortable with having my husband's younger sister do this," I tried to say but Faith was persistent. She pushed me towards a chair and pulled out a make-up kit.