Vacations

Luna held up a Hawaiian shirt with bright, green palm leaves and yellow pineapples printed on it.

Celestia crinkled her nose.

"Are you sure you want to bring that? It seems awfully touristy."

Luna scoffed.

"Says the mare who's going to be wearing a fanny pack."

Celestia glanced to her leopard print fanny pack.

"Its practicality outweighs any tackiness. We don't have pockets sewn into our fur so it's the next best thing."

"And what of the sunglasses?"

The Solar Diarch glanced up at the pair of gaudy, oversized sunglasses on her forehead.

"At my age, cataracts are a real danger, Luna."

"But you control the sun!"

"I push it around the sky. Where the idea that I can shoot solar flares at will came from I'll never know."

"Well what of-"

Celestia put a hoof to her temple to relieve the pressure.

"Luna, how many of these vacations have you been on?"

Luna scrunched her face up in thought.

"I believe there was that one we took to the Golden Horde-such a lovely place that dragon prefecture was-prior to my, err, extended leave of absence."

"Then trust me, a veteran of ten vacations since, when I say that that shirt wouldn't work."

"Fine. I'll choose something else."

Luna walked over and put the shirt back on a rack of other Hawaiian shirts before she began scanning through them to find one she liked. Celestia turned her attention to an already full, flower print suitcase and the stack of shorts that lay folded next to it. With all the grace of a thousand years of being princess, she started cramming them in.

The Lunar Diarch looked over from admiring a shirt with lime green with pink flowers on it to see Celestia struggling with the suitcase.

"Would you like some help, sister?"

"No, Luna, it's fine. I got it."

"Are you sure?"

Celestia stuffed the last pair of shorts into the suitcase and attempted to telekinetically shut it.

"Yes. I've almost got it."

"Why don't you simply use another suitcase?"

"The Central Equestrian Railroad charges an absurd amount of money for extra luggage. I am not spending fifty bits for a checked suitcase."

She was successful at closing the suitcase and now moved on to the difficult step of closing the latches.

"But doesn't the Royal Treasury have millions of bits in its coffers?"

"And how do you think it got those millions of bits? Not from spending it on baggage fees."

Finally, the latches were secured and Celestia triumphantly lifted the bulging suitcase above her head. At that moment, the brass latches snapped like twigs and the suitcase jettisoned its contents, showering the room and Celestia in clothing, sun tan lotion, and several cake magazines.

The door opened and Twilight walked in to see her teacher covered in shorts, socks, and even a pair of underwear.

"Uh, good morning, Princess. Did I catch you at a bad time?"