Court

Twilight paced briskly in front of the throne. Words flew out of her mouth in an ever growing stream of frustration, embarrassment, and even a little anger. The morning sunlight beamed in through the red stained glass windows, casting the room in shades of red. To a wayward observer, the menacing light, purple banners, and angry alicorn would give the distinct impression that some nefarious scheme had just been thwarted.

“I just can't believe you two. I knew this was a bad idea. I could feel it. But did I listen to my gut? Nooooo. Now look!” she threw down the paper in front of the two flinching ponies, “I'm not even in charge for a day and already I'm being eaten alive.”

Twilight slumped into the throne, giving a somewhat defeated sigh.

Rainbow worked up the courage to talk to the annoyed alicorn.

“I know you're upset, but I don't know what the big deal is. Those press ponies lied! Why don't you just haul them here and give them a dressing down, like you're doing to us?” she mumbled the last part out, hoping Twilight wouldn't hear.

Thankfully for Rainbow, Twilight was too caught up with her first sentence to hear the last.

Not a big deal! Of course it's a big deal. Do you know how many ponies listen to the media?”

Dash shook her head.

“I don't.”

Rarity joined her.

“Neither do I.”

Twilight opened her mouth to respond when Flare's voice rang out.

“I also ignore them.”

The two unicorn guards at the base of the throne's steps also shook their heads.

“I only tune in for the sports section.”

“I see what the finances are up to, but that's it.”

The purple alicorn let out a frustrated sigh.

“The point is, most ponies do and this is going to be horrible for my reign.” Twilight looked around, “And where in Princess Celestia's immaculate mane is Pinkie?”

Everypony shrugged.

Rainbow piped up.

“I think she said she was going to act as 'Official Royal Taste Tester' and went to the kitchens.”

-----

The various chefs and bus colts ran around in a chaotic, but at the same time organized mess. Dirty dishes rattled into the stainless steel sinks, while knifes and other kitchen utensils were in ponies hooves or telekinesis, making quick work of the ingredients that were there. Every so often, a bus colt carrying a bin full of razor sharp knives, or a chef with a large pot of boiling oil would trip over a pink mass that lay slumped in front of the Cake Vault and narrowly avoid a visit by OSHA by regaining their balance in the nick of time.

One of the unicorns that was dicing parsley looked from the pink blob to his nearby companion who was cubing some (simulated) beef tenderloin.

“Hey, Olive?”

The other pony glanced over.

“Yeah, Grease?”

“What's with the pony over there?”

He pointed his knife at the catatonic pink pony lying on the ground, a small amount of drool dripped from her open mouth.

Olive shrugged.

“I don't know. She came in her earlier, said she was that new Regent's 'Taste Tester', and immediately went for the Cake Vault.”

“Is she alright?”