Arcana

day.”

Twilight closed the door to her room and walked in. She removed her regalia and placed it on the dresser next to her bed.

“I still don't know how the Princess Celestia did all this for a thousand years.”

“Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up.”

Twilight jumped and her wings shot up.

Gah!

She hastily turned around to see Spike sitting on a chair on the opposite side of her bed.

“Spike! Don't do that. I almost cast a random spell at you. I could have turned you into a dog or something.”

He only stared at her.

“Spike?”

He narrowed his eyes.

“Alright, what's wrong, Spike.”

He tossed his hands into the air.

“What's wrong? I'll tell you what's wrong. Abandoning me to Postmaster General Lickity Split, to the tartarus that is the Royal Mail Service, to a fate worse than death.”

Twilight resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

“Now, Spik—”

“It's practically child abuse. I should call Foal Protective Services on you. If I had half a mind, I'd go and stay with Fluttershy for a while.”

“Spike, don't be ridiculous. You wouldn't last five hours before you'd be planning Angel's murder. Besides, you're the one that wanted more responsibility.” Twilight smirked, “Especially to impress Rarity.”

He waved his hands.

“Oooohhhh nooo. You're not going to pull the Rarity card on this one. I bet you never even told her how responsible I was at managing the library.”

'He remembered that?!'

“Okay, okay, Spike. I'll admit that tossing you into the jowls of bureaucracy wasn't one of my better ideas, but you'll have to cut me some slack, okay? Running a country isn't the easiest thing to do.”

He rubbed the back of his head.

“It's not even really about the bureaucracy thing. It just—” he sighed, “Well, we never spend any time around each other anymore.”

Twilight climbed over her bed and hugged Spike.

“Aww, you miss me. I wish I could spend more time with you—and Rarity, Rainbow, and Pinkie for that matter—but this Regency thing really is busy. Why do you think the Princesses are on vacation in the first place?”

He pondered it for a second.

“I always thought it was to help prepare Equestria for their eventually permanent abdication.”

Twilight gasped.

“That's the silliest thing you've said all night. They'd never abandon Equestria.”

“Hey, you asked. If you meant it to be rhetorical, you should have phrased it better.”

Twilight snorted.

“I think the good Postmaster General needs some more help.”

“That's low, Twilight. Really low. 'Writing a spin-off to a popular story and then never finishing it' low.”

She grinned mockingly.

“Maybe I should just phrase it better.”

He glared.