Lunch with the Boys

When the mates arrived back home, Jack and Joe barely said two words to each other. Things stayed like that for weeks.. Though, they tried their best to keep up the image of their friendship when they were being filmed. After all, they didn't want to have to answer any questions.

Months after the trip to Austria and another boys lunch out had been planned. That morning Joe had been extremely reluctant to go. He'd even told Byron to go on without him. All Joe could think about was Jack. His smile, his laugh, the feeling of his body lying next to Joe and nothing Joe did distracted him. Now, he had to go and sit at the same table as him and act like they were fine to avoid suspicion from the others and Joe wasn't looking forward to it. He felt humiliated.

Jack wasn't looking forward to lunch either because he didn't know how he'd be able to treat Joe normally. Ever since that morning he'd had Joe's words running round his head on repeat to the point he wasn't even sure it was real anymore. All he wanted now was to turn back time. Instead of walking away he would have jumped towards Joe and kissed him. But Jack, being the idiot he could sometimes be, was scared and confused. Regret filled his heart as he pulled up to the restaurant they were meeting at.

Eventually, Joe did turn up. He knew that if he didn't he'd have to come with an excuse as to why and it just wasn't worth the effort. He made sure he was sat on the opposite side of the table to Jack and far enough away that he could avoid conversation with him.

Whilst waiting for their food to arrive, Joe figured he should vlog a little and he started making comments about Conor and Caspar's conversation. At one point the camera accidentally caught Jack, who was sat next to Conor, and Joe figured he had to at least acknowledge that Jack was there. A few simple words were said until Jack looked at Joe in sadness. It only lasted a few seconds and he played it off by informing the camera that the sun was in his eyes. Joe quickly started up a conversation with another of his mates..

To say Joe was struggling to cope being so close yet so far from Jack was a massive understatement. He kept feeling Jack's eyes watching him but he couldn't bring himself to lift his own up to meet them. The sooner Joe got over Jack the better, Joe had thought, then they could go back to being best friends.

The fact the Joe was avoiding eye contact with him simply made Jack feel so much worse. But he didn't think there was anything he could do. Joe just wouldn't talk to him. He let out a sigh as he pushed the food on his plate around with his fork.

"Jack, you ok?" Conor asked his younger brother, genuinely concerned about him. "You haven't been yourself for months now.."

"It's nothing. I'm just tired that's all" Jack stated in reply, slightly annoyed that he had let it slip that he wasn't feeling great. Conor wasn't entirely convinced by Jack's reply but figured he would ask him again when they were alone..

On the other side of the table, Joe heard the exchange between the two brothers. He didn't know what Conor had meant when he said for months now. He didn't know what Jack had meant when said he was just tired... Questions swarmed around Joe's head as it was filled with the image of Jack walking away from him once again. Abruptly, he stood up from the table, causing everyone to turn and look at him.

"I.. er...going to the bathroom.." He stuttered before walking briskly away.

The table was left in confusion but they decided that Joe would probably have an explanation for them later. Despite this group decision, Jack couldn't help wondering if that was a reaction to him. That was the point that Jack decided he had to do something about this. He wanted his friend back.. He wanted Joe. So, he left it a few minutes and when Joe hadn't returned he pushed his chair back, informed his mates he was gonna check on Joe and headed towards the bathroom.

He carefully pushed open the door and looked inside. Joe was sat with his back against the wall, silent tears running down his face. Jack was about to run to him when his movements were halted as he heard Joe muttering.

"Your not good enough Joe. You should have known he didn't like you. Why can't you just get over him already?!" Joe sobbed. Jack watched as Joe lifted his hand to his head slapping it.. Just as Joe was about to repeat the action he felt a hand around his wrist. Slowly, he looked up and found himself caught in a pair of blue eyes that were filled with worry.

"Please Joe, don't"

"Why do you care?" Joe snapped. His tone took Jack by surprise and for a second he didn't know what to do next. But, he was determined. He knew what he wanted and he wasn't going to walk away without trying.

Joe felt Jack's had slip from his wrist and the sadness wash over him. He thought Jack was going to walk away again... He didn't.
The younger man brought his hands up and cupped Joe's chin, slowly bringing it up so they were looking at each other once again. Jack's eyes darted down to Joe's lips which were only centimetres away before looking back at his eyes which told Jack that Joe was confused but at the same time battling an overwhelming feeling of lust. Jack lowered his head towards Joe and brought his lips towards his. When their faces were only the smallest distance apart, Jack's body just took over. His lips crashed against Joe's; the instant fireworks consuming him...

A/n Will Joe return the kiss? Or will the pair continue to struggle..?

Hope you liked this chapter!

Love Mel xx