Kiroho

"Hey," a whisper came, penitrating the mist of Vitani's grieving sleep. She felt something poke her shoulder. "Hey, miss." 

Vitani kept her eyes closed; she didn't know who this was, friend or foe. She needed every advantage she could get, as she was out in the night, alone and nearly unarmed: a small knife was still strapped to her upper thigh neath her skirt.

Think, Vitani. Gauge your surroundings: analyze the intruder.

"Hey."

Male, most definitely. The deeper timber of his voice gave way to that. It was an odd sound, light through its depth, soothing and warm. He poked her again, then made to shake her shoulder.

Great Kings, is that his hand!? It was large, nearly larger than the size of Kovu's.

She marveled over this until she felt his muscular arms gather her up.

"Let go of me!"

Surprised, the man dropped her with a startled cry. She landed on the ground with a loud thud, but recovered quickly, drawing her knife. She scrambled back and held it between them, eyes narrowed. She watched him warily. His skin was that of a Pride Lander, light and sunkissed, while hers was a shade darker. His hair was brown and came down to his shoulders. His eyes were dark and she couldn't make out the color in the night's cool darkness. He was handsome, no doubt about that. He was also well-toned, lean and muscular, like Kovu, though a bit taller. He wore a breech cloth and a shawl draped around his shoulders. A pack was slung across his torso, resting on his left hip. A rogue.

"Whoa," he said, backing away with his hands up. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Who are you?" she demanded, ready to bolt. He was much bigger than her and would have the physical advantage should he decide to fight. However, she was smaller and faster. It wouldn't take much to get away from him, but she couldn't let him get his hands on her.

"Look, I just saw you on the ground and thought--"

"Who are you?" she snarled. Fear tightened her gut. He shook his head.

"I'm Kiroho. Like I said, I just saw you over here on the ground and thought to make sure you were okay." He smiled sheepishly. "I, uh-- I was gonna play hero if you were hurt and carry you to safety."

She frowned at him.

"Are you armed?" she asked. He nodded. Okay, she'd give him points for honesty, but it was stupid for him to admit to it. He should have waited for her to check him and then make his move.

If that's even his objective, she thought to herself. Why do you always think the worst of people, Tani?

What can I say? I'm funny like that.

Yeesh. Seems like Zira should have named you Jade.

She rolled her eyes at herself, then gestured to Kiroho.

"Drop your weapons," she demanded. Kiroho froze, then narrowed his eyes.

"Sorry, sweetheart," he drawled. "No can do. You could be some kind of weirdo who gets off on deceiving poor, unsuspecting travellers such as myself."

She arched a brow.

"Seriously?" she asked. "I'm in more danger from you than you are from me. I'm just trying to level the playing field here. Now, drop your weapons."

"Hon, I already dropped one when I came over to check on you. I'm not about to endanger myself anymore than necessary. And really, rude much? I mean, how hard is a simple thank you?" He clasped his hands in front of his chest and adopted a falsetto. "Oh, thank you, Kiro! You're so kind and sweet! Ooh, and sooo handsome! Ooh, Kiro, your muscles--"