Chapter 6: Proper Acquaintances

Routines tended to be healthy: meditation, working out, journaling; what was I doing but dedicating as many waking hours as I could to follow the Cullens. Edward was out of school for another week and all of his siblings attended. While at school, I just so happen to walk into the Senior hall from time to time to catch glimpses of the vamps. And after school, I'd watch them through the witch's glass. 

While I ate and did homework, I had them on the glass like they were in a reality show. Emmett and Jasper loved playing video games together, Rosalie would work on all of their cars, Alice and Esme did crafty things like sew and design. When Carlisle wasn't at the hospital, he spent a lot of time in his study, he read medical journals and other historical texts. A large painting he had hanging intrigued me. It was of him and three other impeccably dressed vampires. My mythology book didn't mention any vampire royalty per se, but the Volturi was close enough.  Located in Italy, Aro, Marcus and Caius, ensured that vampires kept their secret, and took care of the vampires who had gotten unruly. Why Carlisle was with them was unclear.

My observation notebook was filling up fast as I studied up on them, and I knew that I needed to take a break but in all the hours I put in, not once did I see them feed. Even Edward, who I had pinned down to being in Denali, Alaska based on the mountain ranges and weather. He, Eleazar, his  mate Carmen and three vampire sisters, Kate, Irina and Tanya, spent time together. Zariah didn't fair any better than I did. Her teachers didn't give her much to work with and in turn made me more riddled with anxiety. All I had to do was see them feed and then I could take a break. Just once, and then I would takethe best nap of my life. 

The next Monday, he finally showed himself again. In the parking lot, Edward Cullen stepped out of his silver car with his sister Alice leaving the passenger seat. The Cullen family was back in full affect and it calmed me down. It would be easier to keep an eye on them all together.

All of their eyes were gold and they seemed to be in good spirits. At lunch, Eric brought up the idea of going to La Push, a beach down on the reservation later in the week but as they spoke I glanced over at their table. This time Edward threw glances my way to which I quickly averted my gaze.

Upon my entry into the Biology classroom he was there at our table reading a book. I sat silently next to him and it felt like we were both back in Denali on the mountain, our feet dangling over the precipice. Once class started, each pair of students was tasked with identifying the different stages of mitosis.

We worked in silence until we each took turns  looking through the microscope and calling the stages. He took the fraction of the time it took for me to identify a stage. Okay now he's just showing off. Due to our efficiency we were finished before anyone else in the class.

Edward and I didn't have anything to say. We both knew or had an inkling that we weren't normal. But he did do something surprising, he introduced himself.

"I'm Edward Cullen. I apologize for not introducing myself earlier."

I waved it away acting like it was big deal.  "No problem, I'm Bella."

"Chief Swan's daughter, the whole town was excited to hear that you were coming."

"I highly doubt that."

"Its true, you're the talk of the town."

"From where I stand you and your family are."

He hummed with a cheeky smile on his face. "And why would that be?"

I shrugged. "You tell me."

"How about you go first?" He asked. "I think it be better for all of us if we kept at a distance." He looked at me fully.