11

11

As we waited on the old, cracked vinyl seats outside the office, my mind was in turmoil as the pieces fell together.

Jonathon sat beside me, and the rest of them were a few seats away, much too close for my liking.

I had always felt that my mother had known something was going to happen to her that day.

But what I didn’t understand was why she didn’t try to stop it.

Why she left me and my father alone.

“I was supposed to die, too,” I gasped, the face of the boy with the silver eyes flashing across my vision.

I sucked in a shaky breath and glanced up.

Jonathon couldn’t meet my eye.

I grabbed his chin with my hand and forced him to look at me. “Tell me I’m wrong.”

He didn’t answer, but it was all the answer I needed.

And as much as I couldn’t stand the sight of Madison, I glanced up at her. Saw the truth of it in her eyes.

The way she was watching me, her eyes bright with curiosity. As though she was studying me.

A shuddered passed through me. I looked at the others.

Lanita and Andrew quickly turned their heads, their faces giving nothing away. No surprises there.

Morgan was standing directly across from Jonathon, towering over us. I had no idea how he got there. I didn’t see him move from his chair.

His powerful body was tense and alert as he glared at Jonathon. His dark brown eyes were filled with warning, the whites of his eyes standing out against the rich milk-chocolate tones of his skin.

I turned to Jonathon. “We need to talk,” I said under my breath.

Jonathon’s gaze flickered up, towards Morgan.

I didn’t see the warning in Jonathon’s eyes. Or maybe I chose not to.

I was done with wasting time.

“Now,” I insisted, a desperate edge to my voice.

Jonathon nodded. The tiniest shake of his head that I felt more than saw.

“No,” Morgan leapt forward, and for the first time ever, I saw real emotion in Morgan’s eyes. Fear.

Then Mr. Jones was there, his face creased with disapproval.

I have no idea how I got through it as we sat in the office, Mr. Jones raging at us. Every word pounding at me.

My hands were clenched together on my lap as I stared at the ground.

Jonathon covered my hands with one of his, and despite my anger, my confusion, I clung to him.

He was the only thing anchoring me at that moment.

I opened my hand to him and his fingers entwined with mine, squeezing tightly as the others glared at us.

Mr. Jones faltered, his brow furrowing as he looked at me, then he continued with a little less steam.

I took strength from Jonathon, and the heat that passed through me, going straight to my centre. I couldn’t help myself. It helped me stay calm.

I was still gripping his hand tightly, my knuckles white, when we left the office a few minutes later.

I tried to question him, the two of us walking a few feet ahead of the others. The weight of their eyes on our backs.

“How could you know?” I kept my voice low.

“I can’t tell you.”

“Can’t? Or won’t?”

He let go of my hand and I suddenly felt empty. I could still feel the echo of his hand squeezing my fingers.

Then he grabbed me, and suddenly we were rushing ahead, impossibly fast. My feet barely touched the ground as the world was reduced to a streaky blur as it whipped past.

Within seconds we were on the other side of the school, hidden behind a tall hedge.

He turned me to face him as I tried to get my bearings, continuing as though nothing had happened.

“What does it matter?” he said urgently, searching my shocked face. “It’s the same thing at the end of the day.”

“It matters to me,” I said hotly, my anger overriding my confusion.

“I can’t. And I won’t. There’s too much at stake.”

“What are you talking about?” I said, and suddenly they were just there. They came from nowhere.

They swarmed around us, until they were behind us. They turned as one, facing the path that led to the school, none of them looking at either of us.

As though responding to an unspoken command, Jonathon straightened, throwing me a quick warning look as he turned to face the school.

A shudder swept through me. It was so damn creepy. Their silence was chilling.

Jonathon started walking, and I was forced along the path as they moved forward behind us.

“What’s with you and them, anyway?” I muttered, wondering how they could possibly move so fast. “Don’t you have a mind of your own?”

He didn’t answer. He stared at the ground as we walked, and I could hear their footsteps behind us, keeping time to his.

When I realized I was part of this creepy beat, I deliberately mistimed my steps.

I had no idea what the deal with them was, but I didn’t owe them anything.

I stopped, rounding on them. “What – are you his keepers or something? What is it with you?”

They just stared at me.

I wanted to smash them in the face. Make them feel something. Anything. But I knew it was useless. I had seen how fast they could move.

Instead, I turned to Jonathon, leaning in so close I felt his ear feather against my mouth, and the warmth of my own breath on my lips. “Meet me at the park. At twilight.”

Morgan grabbed Jonathon’s arm, pulling him away.

“Fine. You win,” I spat at them, and stormed away, glad they couldn’t see the smile on my face.

Before I let go, Jonathon squeezed my hand, and I took that to mean yes.