Chapter Twenty Four

Previously:
Hiccup cuffs my hands again and takes me out of Gothi's hut.

Astrid's POV

Today's the day of our trial. I don't know if we'll be exiled or worse. But for the passed week, I've be beaten and I haven't had any contact with my friends because Hiccup has kept me inside the house. The dragon flyers are still here (sadly). Apparently, they wanted to stay and watch the trial for some unknown reason.

"It's time for your trial, Astrid," Hiccup spits when he says my name.

Freya is behind him, chained just like the previous day minus her wings and tail (but I figure that she's hiding them). Hiccup roughly picks me up and takes us out of the house in the direction of the arena where the trial will be held. After around fifteen minutes of walking, we reach our destination. The whole village is surrounding the outer part of the arena. Hiccup hands me over to one of the dragon flyers but he keeps Freya by him. The dragon flyer brings me to the middle of of the ring along with the rest of the gang. Hiccup is now standing before us and Spitelout is holding Freya but it doesn't look like he wants to.

"You all are here for treason against Berk!" Hiccup announces, "Do any of you have anything to say before sentencing?"

We stay quiet. I mean if we do speak, it might increase our punishments. Knowing the little bastard, he will do everything in his power to do so. But I notice that Dagur is trying his best not to swear at Hiccup.

"Hiccup, don't do this!" Freya pleads, "You don't understand. I'm not---"

"Silence, Freya! You're not leaving this island again!" Hiccup hollers, turning towards us, "The council and I have already spoken and your sentences are---"

Before he can finish, a few Night Fury screeches can be heard. It's them. Thank Thor! The near-invisible dragons blast a hole in the cage above the arena, filling it with smoke. The dragon flyers are also thrown back in the process.

"Where is it?" One of the Berk villagers asks.

"Someone get in there and help them!" Another shouts.

Through the smoke, I see a black outline of a Night Fury. The dragon begins moving closer our group. When it come to a halt, it stares straight at me. It's neither Ghost nor Toothless. This one has a reddish tint to its scales. I do, however, remember Freya telling me that there was another male Night Fury so I guess this is him. He roars as the smoke clears. I look to my left and notice that Hiccup is being pinned done by a different Night Fury. Must be Toothless.

"Huh?" Hiccup asks as Toothless growls.

To my right, Ghost is trying to get Freya to stand up but to no avail. My daughter appears to be in pain because she's on the verge of screaming. Ghost roars to the now visible army of dragons above the arena which also include the Berserkers and Wingmaidens. Soon Nightmares, Gronckles, Nadders and other unfamiliar species fly down and wrap their talons around the metal bars of the dome. They start flapping their wings and the cage breaks off of the bolts keeping it in place and lifts it up.

"Everyone fight back!" Hiccup orders, still struggling to escape from Toothless' grip.

The most Berk vikings scrabble to their dragons while others drop into ring. Toothless glances at Freya in what looks like concern. Because of this action, Hiccup manges to get free. Toothless turns his attention back to his rider.

Hiccup stares at the reptile, "Toothless?"

I guess he didn't recognize him. The dragon hisses in response. I take a look over at Ghost and she warbles to the mysterious red Night Fury in front of us. He does a small nod and runs to the dragon cages where our dragons are being kept. He manages to pull down the levers which, in turn, unlocks the cages. Stormfly is the first to sprint out.