ii.

The year was 2014.

                Dubbed as the worst year of idol groups in SM Entertainment; when dating scandals were released left and right, "fans" expressing disappointment publicly and Knetz lashing out hate on the web; when members filed lawsuits against maltreatment and violation of rights and contracts, becoming the nation's gossip that lasted for almost a year.

                It was different for Irene.                 

                2014 meant a fresh start. 2014 was the year when she finally transformed into a star rising in popularity. It was the year when she can reveal her full potential to the world; as a leader, a singer, performer – an idol. Her past self was buried in the depths of her soul; never to take over and resurface again.

                Amidst all these bad happenings in their seniors' careers, she was in good spirit. She has a different perspective now. Others' problems were not hers, just like how her problems were never theirs; even if they were on the same company.

                What was so wrong about only focusing for the better of her group and herself now?

                She called it 'positivity'.

"Looks like the rumour about Kris leaving EXO is true," Seulgi, the main dancer in her group, was currently chatting with Joy while they were sitting in the vocal room. Irene shook her head while smoothening her skirt as she heard her fellow members gossip. Why were there closeted fangirls in her group, anyway?

"Wah, that must be so hard on the other members," Joy replied, sympathetic, "Do you think they'd survive after this? I mean, they're currently on their prime, and all these sudden rumours about them are coming out."

"I don't know. There were dating scandals too, right? I saw Krystal-unnie break down yesterday and had to comfort her. She said she couldn't handle the backlash."

"Heol, I heard about that from the staff, too. I guess Kai-sunbaenim couldn't be there all the time."

"Hah, that's no surprise", Irene thought to herself. "Men are a just bunch of assholes that make you feel loved at first and leave you crying afterwards."

She scrunched her nose in disdain at the thought.

"Unnie," Irene was brought out of her trance when she heard Seulgi call her, "No one's leaving in our group right?"

She smiled genuinely and asked, "Why would you think that?"

"I don't know. Things might get out of hand at some point. We'll never know what it's like being a mainstream girl group."

She shook her head, a reassuring smile plastered on her face.

"No one's leaving."

--

                Everything was going well. Or so she thought.

                Not until it all went crashing down when the company called her for a private talk regarding a photoshoot and a newly-signed contract with a clothing line.

"You are going to model for some photos wearing their clothes," they said.

"That's all and money's going to skyrocket when the endorsement becomes successful," they said.

"... this is irrevocable." Their words replayed on her head.

                Sure, it's not all too bad, being the new face of this "Ivy Club" yada, yada ..... if only EXO was erased from the scene.

                Modelling? With them?

With Suho close by?

                She wanted to deny the offer but her manager won't allow her to do so.

"URMFHHH," her words were muffled on the pillow where she buried her face on. Here she was. Slumped on the velvet couch of their dorm, groaning from time to time whenever the thought crosses her mind.

                "Honestly," Seulgi complains, sitting next to her and sighs, "Can you get over this already?"

                Irene was too occupied in her thoughts, too tired, to point out Seulgi's lack of honorifics.

                "The thought disgusts me. Eleven men?!" she replied. Eleven men.

                "Why do you hate EXO so much?"

                "I just hate men in general."

Rolling her eyes, Seulgi snatched the pillow from Irene's hold. Irene was clearly making this a big deal and Seulgi was not having it, seeing Irene look like a pissed eighty year old. "Yeah, because all men are Suho."

"It's not about him," Irene replied two beats too quick, causing Seulgi to to raise a brow. She could only groan and curse inwardly at this.

Seulgi knew about her past. The whole Red Velvet, as a matter of fact. How could she not when they literally pestered her about this ever since their debut? Irene made them swear not to tell anyone, though. Her signature death glare comes in handy.

                Suddenly, an idea struck her mind. Her face lit up and Seulgi noticed this, causing her to blurt out a sharp "What?"

                "Do you think they'd cancel the shoot if I pretended to be sick?" She was now mentally patting her head for her intelligent tactics. 'Ah, I'm such a genius.'

                "Yeah, you do that," Seulgi turned to face her, "The shoot won't be cancelled though. Probably postponed? Rescheduled?"

                She frowns, and ought to stand up "You're really not helping."

                Seulgi yanked Irene's arm to make her sit back down to the couch. She held her two shoulders, and turned Irene's body to look at her.

                "If given the choice between being sacrificed as a grumpy virgin who hates men off a mouth of thousand foot high volcano into a hot pool of lava, and going to this photoshoot..."

                "I'd choose the former," Irene interjects quickly, looking straight into her co-member's eyes and shoving her off.

                Seulgi huffed in annoyance on how impossible Irene makes this out to be, spreading her arms wide on the couch, letting out a loud "UGH I GIVE UP. IRENE UNNIE STOP BEING A COWARD CHALLENGE."

                "I can't. Really." She let out a mix between a sign and a chuckle.

                "It's not that you can't. You won't."

                Before Irene could shoot back, a soft vibration on her pocket caught her attention. She fished out her phone and looked at it, not really expecting much from whatever the notification is.

                Boy, was she wrong.

                She lifted her head to give Seulgi a dreaded look.

"Seulgi, what day is it today?"

                "July 6th. Why?"

                Shit.

                Maybe she said this aloud before she brings herself to answer Seulgi's question, but she couldn't care less. Her mind was already reeling in panic.

"Tomorrow's the photoshoot."

--

oof, this was half-assed because my laptop was reformatted and i had to rewrite. sorry it took so long. 15 votes for next update.

-a.