The Death Of A Family

As they walk through a field of flowers, Knox breaks the silence.

"Where's mom?"

"Zombie's got 'er," Maverick says, not even a hint of sadness in his eyes or voice.

"She- she's dead?!" Knox cries. Maverick only nods. Danielle and Knox gein to trail behind, silently grieving the death of their mother. As they walk, Danielle notices Knox walking with a slight limp. (A/N: Who else thinks of Newt from Maze Runner? lol Back to the story.) 

"Knox, are you alr-" She is cut off by Knox falling to the ground. She quickly kneels down beside him, worry filling her. Knox cries out and clutches his ankle. His pant leg rides up slightly and the see purple vein-like lines moving along his leg.

"Bite," Danielle and Maverick say in unison. Maverick quickly searches his daughter for bites.

"Clear," Danielle Searches her father and but was not as lucky.

"Back of your neck," She breathes. Danielle quickly looks back at her brother. He lay shaking and sweating, surrounded by flowers. Then Danielle hears something that would only make sense in a nightmare.

"Kill him," Maverick says monotone.

"You want me to kill the only person I care about?!" Danielle quickly stands and looks at her father, clearly surprised.

"Yes...wait...what happened to me?! I am your father!"

You lost that position when you asked me to kill my own brother! You are only my commander now if that!" Danielle spits. 

"Alright, then as your commander, I order you to kill him."

"No!" Danielle yells, getting in her father's face. Maverick slaps her with such force that she falls to the ground beside Knox.

"You listen to me!" Maverick grabs the pistol from the band of Danielle's jeans and shoots Knox in the stomach.

"No!" Danielle rushes to her brother, "Oh, Knox. It's ok. You're going to be ok." Danielle begins to cry.

"Dani, it hurts."

"I know. You're gonna be ok. Everythings gonna be ok," As Knox starts coughing up blood, Danielle turns to look at Maverick, "How could you do that?! He's 14! He's your son! He had a life to live! And you... you took that away from him." 

"I didn't take that away from him, that bite did. I merely sped up the process." Danielle just stares at Maverick in disdain, until she hears Knox cough harder behind her.

"Dani..." Knox breathes shaking harder.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright, ok? Everything is going to be ok." Danielle said, more to herself than to her brother. 

"I love you, Dani." With that, Knox breathes his last breath.

"Oh, Knox. I love you too." Danielle, crying, grabs his hand and feels something cold. She opens his hand and sees his matching family ring. With tears in her eyes, Danielle slides the ring on, just above her own. Maverick clears his throat behind her.

"My turn." Danielle stands and looks at him. Maverick's arm is outstretched, gun in hand. 

"What?! No. I'm not going to shoot you."

"Do this one last thing for me or I'll do it myself."

"I'm not going to kill you," Danielle says, tears beginning to form in her eyes. Maverick sighs, pointing the gun to his head,

"Such a disappointment," With those last words, he pulls the trigger. Danielle screams. She screams for everything; Knox, her mom, her father, this stupid apocalypse, that stupid earthquake. As the sun set on a weeping Danielle, her eyes began to grow heavy until all she sees is black.