Chapter Eight

"She's crying." Eric grumbled as he nudged me with his elbow.

"Go and get her then." I replied and buried my head further into the pillow.

"It's your turn." He replied and yanked the sheet off of me.

I clenched my teeth together and fought the urge to punch him right in the face. I'd been awake most of the night, thinking about what Angelina had told me. Every time Ebonie had woken up, I'd dragged myself out of bed to tend to her and Eric had only done it once within the last eight hours.

I'd only had about three hours sleep, and what I really wanted to do was lay and cry just like a baby.

"You're an asshole," I muttered. "I've only had like three hours sleep."

"Sleeping." He mumbled obnoxiously and rolled over.

I clenched my teeth together again and kicked him, before rolling out of bed. He grunted and called me some particularly rude words, then pulled the sheet over his head.

I smirked, then quickly made my way over to the small crib in the corner. I reached in and picked up Ebonie, cradling her in my arms. She was still so tiny, and my heart fluttered every time I looked at her. She reminded me of Nathan so much.

"Hey baby girl, what's the matter?" I cooed quietly, softly stroking her cheek. Her crying didn't let up, so I rocked her slowly. It ceased a little, but she still made grumbly noises. I lifted her higher to smell her diaper, and once I was sure that she didn't need a diaper change, I carried her back over to the bed and sat down. She just needed rocking back to sleep.

I leaned back against the headboard and lifted my knees, then laid her on my lap. My legs supported her body and I stroked her cheek again.

"Come on you, shhh... go back to sleep so Auntie Jac can get some rest... please?" I whispered, bobbing my knees up and down slowly whilst rocking them in an attempt to quietened her.

Eventually, she settled, and I didn't have to move as much. I slowly shifted her and pulled her into my arms again, rocking slowly until she fell asleep. I glanced up at the crib through the darkness and groaned when I thought about how far away it was. I really didn't have the energy to move.

I sighed, then slowly laid Ebonie down beside me. I stuffed a pillow between her and Eric in case he rolled over, then laid on my side and settled down next to her. I wasn't going to stay like this for long... just for a few minutes, until I found the energy to carry her back to the crib.

~

I awoke a few hours later, and my heart almost jumped out of my mouth as I realised that I'd fallen asleep with Ebonie beside me. I snapped my eyes open, expecting to see her, but startled when I realised that she wasn't there, and neither was the pillow.

"Good morning." Eric spoke. I looked up to find him laid on his back, with a book in one of his hands and a sound asleep baby on his chest. "I didn't realise that we were going to end up with three in a bed."

"Morning... I'm sorry, I fell asleep. I laid her down for a moment, and then I crashed out."

He smiled. "It's alright. It was a nice surprise."

"It looks like you both got pretty cosy.."

"Yeah, you know, she's pretty cool. She actually farted on me earlier, I laughed so hard." He grinned and tried to hold back his laughter.

I bit my lip and giggled quietly.

"Trying to laugh quietly so that you both didn't wake up was really hard... But uh, yeah. Respect to the little thunder pants."