Chapter Two

Several months later...

It was a slow day for once and Anna was taking the opportunity to do inventory. They were running low on several supplies and needed to get them ordered before they ran out completely. Finishing the last cabinet, she sighed and laid the notepad aside.

Arms wrapped around her waist from behind and she jumped slightly in surprise. Realizing immediately who it was, she ran her hands over his arms and linked her fingers with his as she leaned back against him. 

"Hey ya, doll," Bucky said against the back of her neck and she giggled at the ticklish sensation.

"Hey, Buck," she replied. "When did you guys get back?" She turned so she could see him and frowned at the dirt on his face that was now undoubtedly on the back of her uniform as well.

He grinned. "Just now. I would've cleaned up, but I couldn't wait to see my favorite girl."

She didn't have the heart to chastise him. She'd missed him too much. Bucky worked beside Steve and the Howling Commandos, fighting Hydra. When Anna and he would have parted ways, Peggy had dragged her along as the unit nurse. And Anna had never been more grateful. 

She wrapped her arms around Bucky's neck. "I love you, Buck."

He turned serious all of a sudden and studied her face for a moment. "I love you, too, doll. Never doubt that." His lips found hers and they kissed until a throat being cleared caught their attention. 

Anna's face heated when she turned to find Steve watching them with a smirk.

"I thought we were going for a drink, Buck," he said, obviously amused.

Anna turned to Bucky with a frown. He'd just gotten back. He laughed when he saw her expression. "You're going too, doll. Go get changed."

***

It was late evening by the time Bucky stood from the table the four friends were sharing and held out a hand to his girl. He wanted some time alone with Anna. She smiled at him as he helped her stand and wrapped an arm around her waist. He glanced over to Steve and Peggy. "We're going to go for a walk. See you later," he told them.

Peggy suddenly looked very serious. "Make sure you have her home at a reasonable hour, Sergeant."

Bucky arched a brow at the brunette and she broke into giggles. "I can't," she said with a wave of her hand through the air. "Go. Have fun."

Anna covered her mouth with her hand as she giggled as well. She leaned against Bucky's side as they wove through the tables toward the door. "I think Peg might be a little tipsy."

He grinned at her. "I think you might be right, doll." Once they got outside, he slowed his step and laced his fingers with hers. 

"Where are we going, Buck?" she asked after a moment. 

He shrugged his shoulders. "Nowhere. Everywhere. I just want to spend time with you."

When she didn't respond he glanced over to find a smile on her lips as she ambled along beside him. He decided now was the time to ask her the question that had been bothering him for weeks. "Anna, can I ask you something?"

"Anything. You know that." She squeezed his hand. 

"How do you do it?"

Her smile fell and her step faltered ever so slightly. "How do I do what?"

He pressed his lips together and looked around before tugging her into a secluded alcove. "You know what I'm talking about, doll. My ribs. The cut in Dugan's side. They were much worse than you tried to make out."