April 4th

Lily woke up surrounded by concrete. To her left, Max lay, a limp pile on the floor, unmoving. Lily wanted to scream, but everything inside her told her not too. A few moments go by and Max stirred, his eyes fluttering open.

“Max, Max!” She whispered, trying her hardest to get his attention. She went to go shake his shoulder, and realized that her hands were bound behind her back. Max sits up and looks at Lily.

“L-Lily? What are you, where are we?” He asked, trying his hardest to take in his surroundings.

“I’m so glad you asked, Maxwell,” a voice spoke. Immediately, the couples heads turned towards the direction, meeting a figure in the dim light. They had a hood over their face, and a large knife in their hand.

Lily knew she recognized the voice, but she couldn’t put her finger on who it was. The figure approached the two of them, the knife slightly swinging as they walked. They knelt in front of Max, and with their empty hand, grabbed his chin and forced him to look at them.

“Maxwell, do you know what you have done?” They spoke, raising their knife ever so slowly. Max’s head vigorously shook back and forth, his breathing coming in slight gasps. The person slammed their knife into his shoulder as Max let out a pained scream.

“Max!” Lily yelled, trying so desperately to help, but she knew she couldn’t. The person grabbed a fistful of Max’s hair, and pulled his face closer to theirs. The person started going on a rant, about how Max shouldn’t be here, and how he will die, all the while Max was slowly taking off the ropes on his arms. The persons knife raises up again. Max stares at them. In one swift motion, Max grabs the knife and stabs their captor, the figure falling to the ground in a pool of red.

Max runs to Lily and helps her with her ropes, his hands still shaking. “Who was it?” She asked. Max gave a slight shrug, and approached the now lifeless body on the floor. He pulled up their hood, to reveal a familiar face.

Lily ran to the body herself, after Max refusing to speak. The silky dark brown, almost black, hair and piercing blue eyes stare back at her, and a flood of emotions hit her.

“Mandy? Max, that’s not, no. That’s…Mandy? S-she’s supposed to be d-dead already. Max, you killed her! Max you sick bastard you killed her! M-Max how could you!” She screamed and wailed, hugging her friends lifeless body, blood still flowing out. “She was supposed to be dead! D-did you put the body there?! Did you set this all up?! You pretend to find my best friend dead in my closet, all to just kill her again in front of me?!”

“Lily I didn’t-“ he started, but Lily didn’t let him get far.

“No! Don’t fucking talk to me! G-get out!” She screamed. He tried to approach her, but she picked up the bloodied knife and pointed it at him. “I said leave!” She screamed, the knife shaking along with her hand.

The room was becoming familiar to Max as he walked around. He knew where the stairs were, and he knew the door at the top gets stuck every once in a while. This was his house. He ended up running to his room and grabbing his sports bag, filling it with random articles of clothing and other necessities. He grabbed the pocket knife his brother gave him for his birthday, Max never thought he would ever need it until now.

Max ran out of the house, and left Lily sobbing downstairs over the body of her best friend, whose body had run cold.