Chapter 51

**Chapter 51**

Delilah gulps as the nurse turns on the machine. She moves the little stick around her rapidly growing belly. Zach holds onto her hand and John watches the blank screen from the foot of Delilah's bed.

A small heartbeat sounds out of the machine and Delilah lets out the breathe she didn't know she was holding. The nuse smiles at her and Zach squeezes her hand. She moves the stick and the heartbeat gets louder. The beat seems to be multiplied as it beats quickly. The nurse moves the stick all over Delilah's belly. She pushes some buttons on the machine and the heartbeat gets louder and more out of sync.

"I think you have two hertbeats." The nurse says.

Delilah's eyes bulge from her head. "Is that bad?" She asks scared.

The nurse chuckles and Delilah wants to smack her. Why is she laughing about her babies double heartbeat?

"Not unless your broke and have no patience." The nurse says. "Are you ready to see your babies on the Ultrasound?"

Delilah shakes her head quickly. She looks at Zach who is pale and still squeezes Delilah's hand.

The nurse pushes more buttons and a black and white picture shows up on the screen.

"Wait!" Delilah shouts, startling everyone in the room. "Did you say babies? As in more than one?"

The nurse smiles and nods her head. Delilah feels faint. She doesn't know what to feel. Happy of course. She is having not one but two babies. But how is Delilah and Zach going to take care of two babies and go to school at the same time? Delilah doesn't want her kids in a daycare all the time or a nanny, she wants to raise them the way she wants them. She wants to be there every second of her childrens lives as they grow up. How will she take care of two babies?

Delilah's eyes bulge again and she squirms on the bed she lays on, the paper crinckling underneath her. She stares at the screen.

Two little black smudges on the screen. One of the smudges is closer to Delilah's lower stomache and the other seems to be right ontop of it. Delilah smiles at the picture.

The nurse zooms in so they can all see the babies better. Little hands and feet. The webbing is almost gone between their fingers and toes. Their heads are huge. They must have big brains to be smart, Delilah thinks.

"Twins. Two babies." Zach says with disbelief in his voice.

"Double the trouble." John chuckles.

Delilah just smiles at Zach who takes a bit to return the smile.

"But how?" Zach asks the nurse.

"Well there are two types of twins." The nurse says. "There are identical twins which are called monozygotic twins, and the fraternal or dizygotic twins."

Zach just stares at her.

"Identical twins are formed when one fertillised egg or Ovum splits and develops into two babies with exactly the same genetic information. To form Fraternal or Dizygotic twins, two eggs or Ova are fertilised by two sperm and produce two genetically unique children."

************Information on the Identical and Fraternal twins I found on http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Twins_identical_and_fraternal?open that way it's not plagurized in any way. :D***************************

"Can we tell which of the two they are yet?" John asks from his spot at the foot of the bed.

"No, we can do a DNA test when they are born though. It's easy and painless since all they have to do is take a cheek sample with a cottonball and test them. If the DNA is exactly the same then they are Identical, but if only about half the DNA matches then they are Fraternal twins. You could even get blood samples if you still are uncertain."