xiv | Soda Pop

"This is turning into a cliche episode of as the world turns." Izzy grimaced as she sped down the road in her father's old style mustang.

"Is that what it's called?" Vera mumbled, fixing her lipstick as the bright colored contrasted against her skin.

"Pretty sure, my mom used to watch it." Izzy touched upon the sore subject as Vera shifted awkwardly, and fumbled to change the subject. Vera had learned in a short time that Izzy only liked to mention her mother in short increments, anything more brought a tear jerker, and a new hair color.

"Does your dad know you took this?" She questioned instead, looking toward her friend as her purple hair fanned in the night wind.

"Yeah, but not to go joy riding. He just thought I was making a quick stop at your house. It should be fine."

"Yeah, hopefully."

"Is the Vera Copeland doubting her skills?" Izzy scoffed, taking a turn as they approached the small diner a little ways between La Push, and right off the center of Forks.

"Maybe, they aren't doing me much good here."

"Vera I've heard from your parents, and brother, and even you how much you took charge back in South Dakota." She softened her expression in the mirror as she took her eyes off the road for a split second. "I'm against Sam not because his actions, but because he dims you down Vera. You hurt yourself trying to be something you're not around him."

"I don't do that-"

"Not the last few times cause you built your walls so high that no one could bring that attitude down. It worries me Vera. I don't want you to let yourself get so low."

"Izzy, I'm concerned for you and Lauren. She made fun of you, she was so homophobic."

"Well she's obviously not that homophobic-"

"A closet gay, whatever it doesn't excuse her behavior. You were hurt by her, and I just-"

"Vera, Lauren's been through some shit, trust me when I say that. Just let me handle this. Sometimes we need to take charge for ourselves and that time is now for me."

"Yeah me too." Vera murmured as the car pulled up to the shop. Conner was already seated somewhere in the diner, awaiting his date. Izzy was right, they had to make their own choices and maybe break their own hearts. Vera exchanged a quick look with Izzy.

"Going in hot?"

"Coming out smoking." They dispersed, Vera walking into the diner, and making her way straight to Conner.

"Hey." He smiled, standing to hug the fiery female. Vera's short locks were curled, and her eyelashes were batting their way at him. His intake of air brought him short of their reason for even stopping at the diner for a bite to eat. "You look great."

"Thanks." She sat across from him staring at him for a long moment, and noticing his friends in the corner of the place. "You brought friends?" He seemed squeamish under the Vera's notice. Her blue eyes sultry as she stared at them.

"It's okay Conner, I brought a friend too." Vera gestured, her hair bouncing with her movement. Conner turned to see Izzy standing directly behind him. Her smile elegant, and in the same skimpy black dress Vera wore.

"Hi Conner."

"What-"

"A little birdie told us that Angela cheated on Ben with you? Who knew you were so easy?" Vera questioned, rising from the table as she questioned the boy.

"I don't know-" Izzy's hands fell onto each of Conner's shoulders as she whispered into his ear.

"Say that Angela didn't cheat on Ben, tell the entire group that Ben's lying."

"Screw of Izzy." Conner hissed, looking up at Vera with evil brown eyes. "Is this a joke to you?" He growled into the room.

"I wouldn't call it a joke, more like a reckoning."

"For what some locker room talk?"

"No for disrespecting my friend with your little crewmates." Vera stated, snatching the ketchup bottle from the table, and moving to one side of the male. "Wanna tell the truth?"

"What truth, the fact that 'Slooty Tootie' cheated on Ben with me?" Conner chortled, the guys behind the two females laughing as well, jeering at the females with mocking tones.

"You did this to yourself Con." Izzy murmured as Vera flicked the lid open, squirting the contents onto his head, and spraying his shirt. The boy jumped from his seat, glaring at the two females.

"You'll regret that Vera!" He yelled as Izzy moved toward him a tall glass of Pepsi in her hand.

"Everyone says that, and I have yet to regret it Conner." She hissed, her malicious glint full as Izzy dumped the glass over his head, soaking the boy with the stick substance.

"You want to play games Conner, because this is just a test run." Vera growled, now stepping closer as he moved back, his eyes wide under her threat. "I don't play to play, I play to win." The diner had fallen silence under the three teenagers arguments.

"Vera, what the hell is going on?" A voice demanded, bringing her blue eyes up to the male before her. His body was twice the size of any of the wrestling boys in the diner. The two males flanking him stared with semi shocked, and semi impressed expressions.

"I was teaching someone a lesson." Vera politely replied, pulling forty dollars from her wallet, and handing it to the waitress, Izzy following suit.

"Why are you here Sam?"

"I have eyes and ears all over Forks, and La Push." He replied, and looked to Conner. "Did he hurt you?" He glared at the boy over the smaller female's head.

"No but he'll wish he did." Vera waltzed passed him, pausing in the doorway to look at him. "Oh your girlfriend had a little chat with me, tried to warn me."

"About what?"

"Getting too close to you, it was a very short conversation. I set her straight." The girl disappeared out the door as a tan hand landed on Sam's shoulder.

"You're in deep boy." Paul's voice mocked the older male.

"I've been in deep since I met her."