xviii | Marigolds

Blue eyes traced over the yellow marigolds. The cheery nature of them was overwhelming to the girl who only half listened to the boy beside her.

"So vampires are actually real? And they kill humans?"

"Well not the Cullens obviously, but the one after Bella, and most, do." Sam explained, finally capturing Vera's attention.

"I'm not scared."

"You should be."

"I know I should be, but I just-" She inhaled, looking over to the brown eyes of Sam. "I just feel as though I have no reason to be. Like I'll wake up and this will all be a dream." Vera admitted, running a hand through her short locks.

"Vera you need to be careful, I'm not trying to scare you or anything. It might seem like a dream, but it's all very real, and very unsafe."

"I don't really leave the human surrounded places in Forks regardless." Vera shrugged. Standing from the steps, and getting closer to the flowers.

"This pisses me off." She suddenly blurted, and plucked a handful of the flowers from the box.

"What the hell Vera?" Sam yelled, standing from his position. The girl threw the majority of the yellow flowers onto the ground, kicking them over before looking at him.

"I really hate her. I hate her, and I hate Leah. And I hate you sometimes." She admitted, glancing toward the empty area surrounding them. It was so quiet, too quiet for her outburst.

"You're just overwhelmed." Sam consoled her, moving toward her as she backed away.

"I'm not, it's just-"

"Vera we have a connection it's normal to have these feelings."

"No it's not, it's never been normal for me to react this way." Vera broke down suddenly, her hands slicking together now through her hair. Her blue eyes wounding there way up to the russet male before her.

"Vera we have this thing called imprints, they're like soulmates." Sam suddenly spoke, trying to ease the topic but at one point or another he had to just blurt it.

"Jared said something earlier-"

"We all get one, it doesn't matter what age, it's weird." His hand nervously scratched the back of his neck. "I have one, it's sorta why Emily and I, and Leah and I, why we would've never worked out." The stabbing pit in Vera's stomach awoke her, making her want to run from the truth behind his words.

"Who?"

"Vera, you obviously know, I just said we had a connection." Sam's hand had gone to both of his sides as he almost laughed at the girl before him.

"Well sorry for wanting it to be dramatic Sam!" Vera protested, and turned from him before suddenly turning back with her jaw dropped. "Wait, so that means-"

"It can be platonic, or it can be a relationship, at least from what I've heard."

"No, no that's impossible. You and me?" Vera retreated, her eyes wide over the boy before her.

"It's not impossible, it happened. That first day in the sports shop-"

"It's not something I can control." Vera relayed his words from another time, looking at him with grief. She was so idiotic.

"Yeah."

"Why did you date Emily-"

"Because Vera I'm stupid for thinking that I could ever make something of life without you. You weren't speaking to me, and-"

"It's okay. It's just, you did me dirty."

"I did do that, and I'm sorry. I just was so overwhelmed with the thought of you. Imprinting, it throws your whole world off its axis. My world, it revolves around you Vera, and it always will now. Nothing can change that. It wasn't right for me to hurt Leah, or Emily, or you. But I can't fix the past. I can only promise you that it'll only be you from now on Vera."

"I can't tell my friends, or my family." Vera stated as Sam didn't reply. He knew Vera was smart enough to put the secret together in her head. "Sam this will never work look how different we are-"

"I know, you're a pain in the ass." Sam laughed, a quiet sound that barely left his plump lips.

"And you're a moronic wolf." Vera laughed herself. Her hand crushing onto his chest as he moved closer to the shorter female. "We're polar opposites, but the world put us together."

"And you're going to have a breakdown soon when this all settles in."

"Right you are." Vera laughed once more before staring up at the male. Her hands couldn't help but run through the silky texture of his hair, moving down to his shoulders. One hand clutched the rough exterior of his palm, while the other rubbed over the dark tattoo circled over her upper arm. The two were exchanged in the entirety of their own personal world. Where wolves, and vampires, and feud, and nothing existed.

"You shouldn't-" Vera paused as Sam's head stopped tilting toward her.

"I know." He whispered, as Vera's lips collided against his. The blaze of heat scorching her pink lips. His hands had moved to her waist cradling her in protection, watching her back while his eyes were closed. The tingles of anticipation coursed over her skin, her shirt clutching as Sam pulled her deeper into the kiss. The fire of his hands entrapping her fragile tissue. Vera momentarily wondered if her skin would be severely burned from this encounter, or just her heart. Vera's legs jolted upward, clashing to Sam's waist as he turned her toward the house. The kiss between the two growing sloppy.

Her back slammed harshly to the wood of the door as she pulled from the intense kiss, heaving for a breath of fresh air. The boy holding her resting his head to her own. Breathing minty fragments of air into her face.

"I'm so glad I forgot my backpack."

"Paul!"