26. Father and Daughter

He didn't have much to say about the matter. He walked upstairs, silently to their apartment, leaving Hibiki confused and anxious. Her mother came up alongside her and placed a delicate hand on her shoulder. Hibiki turned to her mother, a worried look in her large, purple eyes.

"I'll talk to him," she said softly as if to keep Daisuke from hearing her. But Hibiki caught her mother's hand before she could walk away, regaining her attention.

"I will," she said back. Her hand slipped from Takashi's as she walked towards the door that led to her house. Hanabi invited him to rejoin the group alongside her, cutting strawberries.

"You don't have anything to worry about," she said softly among the bustle of the kitchen. "I've got a feeling everything will be just fine." Takashi hummed, wanting to believe Hanabi's words, yet unable to shake the anxiety in his chest.

Upstairs, Hibiki stood outside of her father's room door, staring at her feet as every possible scenario played out in her mind. She hadn't told her father about Takashi. She planned to, even promised herself she would, but there never seemed like a good time to do so. Especially since he'd returned to work and was hardly ever home. She sighed and raised a hand to knock on the door, but before she could, her father opened it. He looked down to her with an unreadable expression and said to her in a based voice, "come in."

She stepped inside, passed him and into the room. He closed the door behind him and leaned against it, not saying anything. Hibiki's mind was in such a scramble for words that she didn't realize she was speaking until she made eye contact with her father. "I didn't know you were coming home tonight," she said.

"I have to start packing things up. We leave in a few months," he answered. She hummed and nodded her head. "Is there something you wanted to talk about, Hibiki?"

"Y-yes actually," she said. Hibiki never caught herself being afraid of her father, as scary as he could be. She was usually very comfortable with him, despite his nature and proneness to not being understanding. She took a deep breath and calmed herself, convincing herself that there was nothing to be afraid of. If she could express herself to Kyoya's parents, then she could definitely do so with one of her own. "Takashi is-"

"The reason you denied the Ootori's offer," Diasuke finished. Hibiki nodded, feeling herself shrink in size in front of her father. She never wanted to disappoint him, but Takashi was nothing to be disappointed about.

"I don't want to be stuck in a marriage with someone I don't love," she explained. "Kyoya is great, but we have practically nothing in common and Takashi, he's," she was smiling, "warm and nice and-"

"Seemingly better for you," Daisuke cut her off. Hibiki looked up to her father and he walked over to where she stood to place his hands on her shoulders and bring her into a fatherly embrace. Hibiki wrapper her arms around her father and sighed with relief. "Your mom told me," he said. "And Toturo," he added, almost confused.

"He met Takashi at the farmers market in fr spring," Hibiki explained with a giggle.

"Makes a lot more sense," Daisuke noted. "Anyway, Hibiki. I respect what you did. Standing up for what you believe in, but," Hibiki knew nothing good ever came from a compliment followed by a "but" and she gulped. "I can't leave you here with a boy I don't know. What kind of father would that make me?" he said, stroking her hair, painfully memorizing the hurt look in her eye.

"If I go, I won't be able to see Takashi or my friends anymore," she muttered.

"I know it's hard, honey. But this is a huge opportunity for our family. We get to travel to America, open up a new bake shop! Aren't you excited for that?" Daisuke said, looking down at his daughter.

"I want to be. But the thought of leaving everything I've ever known hurts me a little. and leaving Takashi..." she sighed and her father brought her into another hug.

"It'll be alright. You can make new friends and there are always other boys, Hibiki," he said. She pulled away from him and looked him in the eye with the most stale face she could muster.

"Other boys aren't him. New friends aren't the host club. My life is here, dad," she said sternly.

"I'm not leaving you here, Hibiki. How could I leave my own child with some boy I've never even met?"

"You won't be leaving me with him, dad. Leave me with Ryo or, I don't know," she argued. Daisuke kissed Hibiki's forehead.

"It'll be alright. You can come back with your mother every summer to check on the shop," he said softly. Hibiki wrapper her arms around her father and fought the tears that pressed against her purple eyes as best as she could until she felt them slip down her flushed cheeks. Her body quivered against the pulse of her sobs and fathers arms wrapped around her frame as she cried quietly into him. The thought of leaving everybody behind creating a void in her that she could only express through her tears. He stroked her head comfortingly and they stayed like that until she finished and they sat down on the bed together. He took her hand in his and placed his other hand on top.

"It won't be so bad once you get used to it," he promised her. She held her head down, avoiding his gaze. There could never be any getting used to a life without the host club - without Takashi. She was already where she wanted to be; Hibiki finally happy with her life.

Daisuke placed his free hand on her knee and squeezed it comfortingly. "I'm going to work tonight. We can talk more tomorrow," he said. "I'll only be escorting and guarding the Yuuka Family at their art gala tonight, so I'll be home before morning," he promised, kissing Hibiki on the forehead. But Hibiki didn't feel like there was much to say. She was leaving her home and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

i just want to thank everyone for all the support i've been getting. it really does motivate me to keep posting! you guys are the absolute best. big shoutout to @Love4hannah for and @Cloverclaw who have voted for literally every single chapter & even commented!! no one goes unnoticed, i promise. i acknowledge you ALL & i appreciate you ALL with everything in me.