An Affinity for Blondes

I was floating, weightless now that Zayn was mine again.

The sun was crawling across the hardwood floor of my bedroom, and I was warm, bundled up in my sheets that still held the faint scent of Zayn’s cologne. We had stayed up late talking, Zayn continuing to apologize for his previous indiscretions, promising me that it would never happen again. And I believed him, as I always did, as I always would. Glancing over at my iDock, I saw that it was just past noon –too far into the day to dare take a run. And so I opted for a hot shower instead, only regretting that whatever was left of Zayn on my skin would be washed away, at least until later that night. Hopefully the water would take my doubts with it.

Draping my legs over the side of my bed, I planted my feet on the warm cherry wood, uncertain if I was even touching the floor as I made my way over to the loo. About to enter, the faint sound of sloshing water reached my ears, and it was apparent that Harry had already claimed the bath. About to turn on my heel, I paused when Harry’s raspy voice reverberated through the door, at first in the form of a hum and then singing.

Blue moon

You saw me standing alone

Without a dream in my heart

Without a love of my own

Blue moon

You knew just what I was there for

You heard me saying a prayer for

Someone I really could care for

Without a love of my own

Elvis Presley’s rendition –Harry’s favourite. 

Leaning my head against the door, I knew that this fight between Harry and I had to end at some point. When it came to my relationship with Zayn, Harry and I could not have more different opinions. So much so that at times it felt as if we were ten years apart instead of two, worlds apart instead of living under the same roof. Zayn and I dating was probably something that we would never see eye-to-eye on, however, and I didn’t blame Harry for it either. Harry simultaneously had to deal with supporting his best friend and with looking out for the best interests of his sister, both of which were no easy feat. The whole thing had certainly strained Harry and Zayn’s friendship, and even more so when we had broken up; Zayn going out of his way to avoid the events I would be present at when he was able to. 

Harry went on singing, and I smiled in spite of myself, the vibration of my phone drawing me from my thoughts. My smile widened when I saw that it was from Zayn. 

See you tonight x, it read. 

Blue moon

You saw me standing alone

Without a dream in my heart

Without a love of my own

Blue moon

Without a love of my own

Having locked myself in my room for most of the day, I finally succumbed to the violent rumbling of my stomach and ventured towards the kitchen. With my Mum and Step-Dad away for the night, Zayn and I would have the house to ourselves, a giddy smile appearing on my lips at just the thought of it. Mentally sorting through my closet and thinking of what to wear, I absentmindedly breezed into the kitchen, freezing when I saw that Harry was standing at the counter, munching on half a sandwich. Harry’s head shot up at my entrance, and he ceased his chewing to stare at me. 

“What are you doing here?” I blurted out in surprise. 

Harry narrowed his eyes, swallowing the food in his mouth. “I live here too, you know.” He retorted sarcastically, shaking his head to himself and taking another bite of his sandwich. 

I groaned inwardly. That had come out wrong. I let out a petulant sigh, thinking that this was all very counter-productive to my wanting to make peace with him. “No, I meant I didn’t know you were still here…that’s all.” I corrected myself, my tone softer. 

Harry paused, shrugging. “I’m going out soon anyways.” He told me, swiping at the lock screen on his iPhone to check the time. “Want the other half?” Harry offered after a moment, pushing his plate towards me, still containing half a sandwich about twice the size of a normal one. 

I nodded graciously, picking it up and taking a large bite from it. “Is that why you’re all dressed up?” I inquired as I chewed, observing Harry who was clad in a pair of black trousers and red plaid shirt with its sleeves rolled up, his mop of curly brown hair styled away from his face. 

“I’ve got a date.” Harry smirked jokingly, gulping down the remaining dregs in his glass of milk. 

“Really now?” I teased, popping the last bit of crust into my mouth. “And who’s the lucky lady?” 

Harry smiled sheepishly. “Her name’s Amelia, a friend of Danielle’s.” Harry informed me. “Should be here any minute, actually.” 

Nodding in reply, a comfortable silence fell between Harry and I, and so I decided to take the opportunity to apologize to him, as I promised myself I would. 

“I’m sorry for everything yesterday, Harry.” I began slowly, a self-deprecating smile on my lips. “I was too hard on you.” I concluded, although I hadn’t wanted to admit it. 

Harry stared at me, a smile finding his lips after a moment. “You were right, Odette,” He told me in earnest. “What goes on between you and Zayn is none of my business.” 

Opening my mouth to respond, I stopped myself when I heard the front door slam, a pair of high heels click-clacking their way down the hallway. “Harry?” An uncertain female voice called out. 

“In here!” Harry yelled, and into the kitchen breezed a statuesque brunette, her hair as black if not blacker than Zayn’s. The girl, who I presumed to be Amelia, was undoubtedly beautiful, her bright white smile contrasting against her caramel skin. 

Hey.” Harry gave her a crooked grin, striding over to Amelia and planting a kiss on her cheek. 

Amelia’s smile widened, her eyes flowing over Harry. “Hi,” She cooed in reply, snaking her arm around Harry’s waist. “And who’s this?” She inquired pleasantly, her tone resembling one of a Mother talking to her child. I tried my very best not to flinch. 

“This is my little sister, Odette.” Harry gestured towards me with a smile. 

I extended my hand to Amelia. “It’s nice to meet you.” I told her, a saccharine smile on my lips. Amelia was nice enough, but seemed like a bit of an airhead. Harry had done much better for himself on other occasions. 

Amelia accepted my hand and shook it. “It’s nice to meet you too!” She gushed, then turning to Harry. “We should probably get going, yeah?” She suggested, glancing at the time on her cell phone. “What’s that movie we’re seeing again? Steel Man?” Amelia pondered aloud. 

Harry bowed his head in embarrassment. “Iron Man…it’s Iron Man.” He corrected Amelia quietly, placing his hand on the small of her back and guiding her towards the door. “See you later!” He threw over his shoulder with a grin. 

“Have fun!” I called after them, playfully, smiling in spite of myself. 

Hearing the front door slam, I at once rushed from the kitchen and bounded up the stairs, heading directly for my closet. Sifting through the various dresses, my mind could not help but drift back to Amelia and Harry. Slipping into a black dress smattered with red flowers, it struck me that Harry had not dated a brunette is ages, and that usually he had an affinity for blondes. Examining myself in the mirror, I could not help but grin, satisfied with how flattering the dress looked on me and hoping that Zayn would think so too.