Chapter 7

It's been a few months now.  We've killed about 6 people together, and I allowed her to kill 3 of her own.  She's completely destroyed now.  She punches trees, she screams at nothing, and she laughs at pain.  I've done this to her, and I'm not sorry anymore.  I'm no longer alone. And I'm actually happy.  I don't know what happiness is, but I think this is it.  I enjoy having her around, it's more fun, and it's easier to kill with two.  She walks into the 'house' with a few squirrels tied to her waist.  "Dinner!"  I smile up from my book. "You're cooking?" She laughs, "Yes."  I go back to reading my book, happy that she's back.  She starts to make me my favourite meal, squirrel soup.   It's basically boiled water with herbs and squirrel meat, but it's my favourite and she knows that.  The smell of the soup hits my nostrils and I can't sit still anymore.  "When's it going to be ready?  I'm absolutely starving!"  She laughs.  "Almost boiled, don't worry princess."  She calls me princess and I absolutely love it.  She says I'm as picky as the princess and the pea.  I didn't know what it meant so she stole the book from a library for me.  She's changed my life in ways I can't explain, and I'm not mad. She calls me when the soup is ready and I sit on my foldout chair across from her.  We had to steal another foldout chair now that she's here with me.  I sip my soup happily.  "How was hunting today?" I ask her, genuinely curious.  "It was great!  The weather was perfect and my traps are getting better!  I'm hoping to catch a rabbit tomorrow!"  I smile and nod.  "Rabbits were the first thing I caught.  Maybe we can hunt for deer tomorrow?  Use the horns for spears and new spoons."  She perks up.  "That would be so awesome!  You can teach me how to carve bone with my new knife!"  I smile back at her and chew on a chunk of squirrel meat.  "Tomorrow it is then."

///

I glance at my clock.  1 am.  I can't sleep.  Elizabeth is asleep beside me, a pile of blankets wrapped around her.  We were too lazy to get new pillows and blankets so we share a bed.  I can smell her earthiness beside me and roll closer to her.  I breathe in her scent and nuzzle my face in her neck.  //Why do I feel like this?  What is it?  I've never felt it before.//  The feeling continues to frustrate me as I stand up and throw a hoodie on, walking out of the hut.  I walk to the nearby stream and sit down on a rock.  I watch the small waves lap by my feet and throw a rock in.  The ripples spread outwards and watch them until they are gone.  I sigh.  //I might as well just take a dip now.//  I strip down to nothing and slowly wade into the cold water.  Shivering slightly I dunk my head under the water and resurface.  //Why did I let her join me in the first place?  I promised myself I would stay alone.  I always wanted to be alone!//  I stifle a scream as something, more like someone, comes tackling me into the water.  When I resurface I see her, dumb Elizabeth, also naked, laughing in front of me.  Her beautiful blonde hair shimmers in the moonlight and I laugh and splash her.  "You idiot! What are you doing!"  "I got cold when you left and followed you here!"  I splash her again, "yes, because the water is so warm!"  Her lips are already turning blue.  "I missed you!"  My heart skips a beat and I blush.  "Come on, let's get you inside."  I pick her up and sling her over my shoulder, stooping down to grab our clothes and carry her back inside.  I throw warmer clothes at her and a big blanket.  She wraps the blanket around her shoulders, smiling happily at me.  I start to boil up some mint leaf water, watching her with a shy smile.  "You really are an idiot," I say with a playful laugh.  She shrugs happily and watches me as I pour two cups of the minty water, into stolen mugs.  I hand her one with a small smile.  She takes it from me. "Thank you."  I nod and sit beside her, cross legged, and take a sip of my burning hot tea.  "Ouch!" I swear and lick my lip.  "Dumbass," she says laughing at me.  I roll my eyes and blow on my tea to try and cool it down. She drinks her tea hot and I watch her lips as they touch the mug, sticking to the rim slightly as she pulls away, wet with the mint tea.  I bite my lip hard, trying to control the sudden urge I feel to kiss her.  //What the fuck?  Get out of my head!//   I shake my head slightly and chug my tea.  She watches me with a raised eyebrow.  "You alright there princess?"  I laugh and set my mug down.  //I'm perfect because I have you.//   "I'm fine."  She nods and takes another sip of her tea.  "Can you read me some of that book you're reading?  That might help me sleep."  I nod and take a book off the table beside us, opening it up carefully.  "Before she could withdraw her mind from its far places, his arms were around her, as sure and hard as on the dark road to Tara, so long ago. She felt again the rush of helplessness, the sinking yielding, the surging tide of warmth that left her limp. And the quiet face of Ashley Wilkes was blurred and drowned to nothingness. He bent back her head across his arm and kissed her, softly at first, and then with a swift gradation of intensity that made her cling to him as the only solid thing in a dizzy swaying world. His insistent mouth was parting her shaking lips, sending wild tremors along her nerves, evoking from her sensations she had never known she was capable of feeling. And before a swimming giddiness spun her round and round, she knew that she was kissing him back."  I look up at her, her brown eyes glued to mine, everything happening in slow motion.  The book falling from my hands, her mug being set on the floor, my hands grabbing her face and pulling her closer, the blanket sliding of her shoulders, her hands in my hair, and finally, our lips crashing into one another's, moving slowly at first, then with more and more passion as we grow more entwined with one another, not knowing where one starts and the other ends, just her soft lips on mine, and mine on hers, body's connected, breathing heavy, hearts beating as one.  I know that feeling, I felt it once before.