Chapter 60: Benefit

After work on Friday, I go home and start to get ready. I've never been to a benefit before but I managed to find a beautiful gold glitter pencil skirt and a black peplum top. I throw on some matching jewelry before working on my hair. I put it up in a simple up-do like bun and leave some strands to frame my face a little. I do my best brown smokey eye and throw on some heals. Sonny said he has to finish his paperwork before he leaves but will meet me there. When I arrive at the venue I stand off the side to wait for Lori who said she'd walk in with me. She arrives 10 past six, "you look beautiful, glad you could make it." She says as she leans in to hug me.

Her dress is more then semi-formal and I compliment her, "wow, you look stunning. Am I underdressed?" I second guess my skirt, wishing I went with a dress instead.

"No, you look awesome! Shall we head in?" She asks. I nod and the two of us walk inside. Once we get our seat assignment Lori goes straight to the bar. I follow along and get a glass of white wine. When I open my purse to pay she leans in and whispers, "it's an open bar."

"Ahh," I say as I tuck the 20 back down. I find a few singles and throw them into the tip jar. When we get to our seats, everyone else is already there. I say hello to the two I know and meet everyone else. We take a seat and they all start to chat. I just sit and listen with a smile on my face, not really able to chip in on what they are talking about. Luckily, my phone rings after about 20 minutes and I see Sonny's name flash on my screen. I hold up a finger to Lori to let her know I'll be right back and pick up the phone, "hey, you heading over?" I ask.

"I'm already here." He says and then I spot him walking into the room. He lowers his phone and waves to me as he walks over. I meet him halfway and he scoops me into a big hug, "you look absolutely beautiful, Addison. Wow."

I blush but thank him, "you look very nice yourself. You changed your jacket?" I notice the more formal one he has on now.

He leans down for a quick peck and says again, "I mean it, you're gorgeous. I love you so much."

"I love you too." I blush again and accept his compliment, "come on." I grab his hand and the two of us walk together to the table. Lori stands to greet Sonny as we reach the table, "you remember Lori." I say as they meet.

"Of course, it's great to see you again. You look very nice." Sonny leans in to give her a hug.

"Thank you, I'm so glad you could make it." She returns to him. Before I could introduce everyone at the table, Lori does it for me. Sonny shakes hands with everyone as he greets them and I wait for him to come back around before sitting.

"So, the invitation said this was an annual event, how many years has your company been coming?" He asks Lori.

"This is our second year. Last year we couldn't manage to raise a gift for the auction so we're pretty excited about this year." She says back happily.

"Oh, there's an auction?" I ask, not remembering that.

Diana answers, "it's a silent auction, they're going to open the doors after dinner is served."

"What item did you guys donate? This way I know which one to bid high on." Sonny smirks as he asks.

A few people chuckle and Lori answers, "we donated two tickets for a 4-night cruise."

"Wow," I say, kind of shocked they managed to give that as a donation. It's a small company but they must be doing well. I'm happy I managed to get a job there, "well, that's a very generous gift. I bet it'll get a lot of bids."

"We hope!" Lori agrees.

"I'm going to get a drink, anybody need anything?" Sonny asks the table. Everyone shakes their head but I ask him to get me another Chardonnay. When he returns, he places my glass down and sits back down.

A man I just met, Robert, asks Sonny, "so, what do you do?"

Sonny answers, "I'm a detective for manhattans special victims unit."

"Oh, wow. Interesting job. You like it?" He asks back.

Sonny replies, "I like catching the bad guys, getting them off the streets."

I chime in, "he's really good with the victims too, they all are. They save a lot of lives and help a lot of people in their darkest times."

Sonny puts his hand on my knee from under the table and I get chills across my body. He squeezes it gently. Gia, who brought her ex Liam asks, "were you a police officer before you were a detective? How does that work?"

Sonny goes into a bit more detail explaining how one gets to be a detective. Dinner comes soon after that and everyone starts to pair off with their own conversations. Sonny continues to talk to Liam and Gia and Lori leans in and asks, "so, I wanted to tell you something tonight." I lower my fork and look at her with curiosity, waiting for her to elaborate. She says, "you've been doing such a good job these first months, I was wondering if you'd like to start seeing some kids?"

"Really? Already?" I ask, not expecting that.

She nods, "you've picked up a lot already and I know you'd be good with them. It would be in addition to your current job. An extra two or three days a week. Are you interested?"

"Yes! Of course" I answer immediately, "thank you so much!"

"No, thank you. You're a wonderful addition to our little family here." She smiles sincerely to me and leans in to give me a quick hug.