Part 12 - Destiny

1431 hrs - Russian Field HQ - Your POV

Lt. Col: So what's the plan? You know this area better than us.

Maj: So, we are going to lead a patrol into enemy territory to help us locate their forces.

Cpt. Moore: Why not just use spy planes?

Maj: They are using missiles they got from both us and America in the cold war, so that would be an instant loss.

Lt. Col: Okay, so what about resistance, land and air?

Maj: Well, I have explained the air, but the land forces seem to be really concentrated on the offence, so if we could catch them off guard and strike a blow in their supply line, that would halt them.

You: So like the Finns in the winter war?

The Major glared at you with a stare that could cut steel.

Maj: (begrudgingly) Yes, just like that. If we could get past them under the cover of darkness, that would be an optimum time to strike.

Lt. Col: What if we take out the AA? Then we could strafe any convoys we want.

Maj: We could use Su-25 attack aircraft to take out land forces... this could work. The only long range ones are protecting Korea itself, so the mid ranges are around 50km. Lieutenant Colonel, who will you send?

Lt. Col: Kingfisher, Sheppard and Moore will lead the infiltration, and [l

]? Consider this your trial; you'll go too.

The four of you: Yes ma'am.

Maj: What of your other forces?

Lt. Col: We brought a battalion of 640, but we'll send a platoon for this task. I'll get the Combat engineers so they'll be ready to strike for tonight.

Maj: We will escort you to the "front" at 20:00, and it will only be about ten miles after that.

Lt. Col: Good, (to the heads) get admin sorted, make sure you are all ready for further information. Dismissed.

You all walk away while Shields and Vasiliev discuss further matters.

Capt. Moore: It seems ages since I've been in the field; I mostly deal with desk work, after all.

Sgt. Sheppard: Frankly, I can't wait. My barrel's been getting cold.

Capt Kingfisher: Do not wish for war... By the sounds of it we will see plenty of it within our lives.

You: That was awfully pacifist like, is something wrong?

Capt. Kingfisher: No, just don't ask for violence.

You: Yeah... No worries.

I can see that the others, despite all being in similar positions, have variable views on the future of the conflict. I guess I will have to see how I feel when I get further involved.

You: So is this one going to be a stealth mission... Better get my suppressors then.

Sgt. Sheppard: They're not as effective as they are in video games, so still try to avoid the use of firearms.

You: I've got my sword?

Sgt. Sheppard: That'll do as well. By the sounds of it, we're going to be silent... No pun intended.

You: Yes, but is there any news from home? 

Capt Moore: (Pipes up) Not as of yet, No more nuclear strikes have been confirmed across the globe and I would guess that both regulars and reserves are being mobilised. 

You let out a sigh as you realise that this war will not be over quickly. You sit down on the floor as you see Wilson and Baxter approach.

Sgt. Baxter: So [y/n], how are you feeling? About your first deployment? 

You: Okay, I guess... But I worry for all the innocents

The pair of them sit next to you with Baxter on your right, and Wilson on your right.

Sgt. Baxter: True, but hopefully, we'll protect them! (Smiles sweetly)

You: You're right, I'm just a bit tense.

Sgt. Wilson: I can help with that.

She gets on her knees and moves to your back, before giving your collarbone a massage.

Sgt. Wilson: Massages are great after long workouts and heavy stress, so just... Relax.

You close your eyes and feel her hands on your shoulders. She rubs deeply into all the spaces between bones, and it feels like hands of an angel. But from the corner of your eye you notice something... Out of the ordinary. You brush her off as you stand up.

Sgt. Wilson: Something wrong...?

You: Yeah... Follow me

You grab your Mauser and you jog over to where you saw some movement in the shadows, with Sarah and Becca close behind.

Sgt. Baxter: What is it?

You: I felt like something's off, so I'm investigating. Well I guess we are gonna find-

As you walk past a corner in the district, a body lunges it self at you with a knife in one hand and pins your firing hand to the ground with the other. You force the knife away from you, but it's still inclosing on your neck. While it is an inch away, Sarah uses her rifle butt to bash him, making him disoriented. You seize the opportunity to raise your pistol and shoot the enemy twice: once in the neck and the other upwards through the jaw. Blood is splattered on you as the body goes limp and falls upon you. Instantly you panic and throw him off, and realise your upper torso and face are covered with his blood.

You: Jesus fuck!

You hear footsteps rush in as Shields, Vasiliev and a few others come over.

Lt. Col: What the hell happened here?

You: I saw someone moving and we came to check... I almost died...

Lt. Col: Take it easy, lad. This is your first kill, and it just so happened to be a grisly one. But you did a good job, that's a Korean spy; The knife is ingrained with Hangul. Look... Wash yourself off and get some rest before tonight.

Maj: I will get some to bring warm water to where you will stay.

You follow the Major as she leads you to a bedroll and a metal bowl of hot water. You wash the blood off and get tucked in, with it still fresh in your mind.

??? - In a farmer's field - Your POV

You look around for anything weird and it all seems too quiet

Azrael: (Voice) Dear [y

], lost in a world of his own and yet completely lost. Tell me, what's in the sky, or more importantly, what isn't?

You look up.

You: There's no planes or helicopters...

Azrael: (Voice) The Date is 5th November, 1914. This day, Britain and France declare war on the Ottoman empire. This one of the dominoes in the chain that will turn this field into a hellhole filled with mustard gas , mud, blood and tears. The great war would claim over 15 million lives of men, women and children and they were naïve enough to think it was the end. So what will you have it? What will become of this war is something only you may decide. Good luck

--------

Remember, remember the fifth of November, 
Gunpowder treason and plot. 
We see no reason 
Why gunpowder treason 
Should ever be forgot!