Chapter Thirteen

Sebastian silently glided through the naturally lit halls of the mansion, adjusting his clean gloves and straightening his uniform before arriving at the door of his Master's study. He'd work out just what he's planned to say. What he's planned to do. Raising his hand, he went to knock. His knuckles only tapped the wood once when his Master's voice responded almost immediately, which was strange for the boy.

Pushing open the door, Sebastian entered and met Ciel's eyes with his own piercing crimson ones. "My, were you expecting someone?" He questioned, closing the door behind him with a nearly inaudible click. 

"I had a feeling you'd show up sooner or later. And you're the only one who ever actually knocks. Elizabeth practically breaks down my door, and the other servants are just incompetent," Ciel's spoke calmly, sitting with his elbow on his desk, an arm supporting his head. "So tell me, Sebastian. Is she dead? Surely she would be unable to complete those tasks on her own."

The corners of Sebastian's lips twitched into a smirk. Oh, how he loved playing and annoying the boy. "Kadence is a diligent worker. She's going to go through more uniform's than anyone here with the way she has to do things," the raven haired butler replied. "No, she is not dead. In fact, she's simply resting now because her tasks are complete. I'll be waking her up to do the dishes I use for dinner."

Ciel's fist clenched silently under the table as he looked at the butler. If he hadn't known the demon, he wouldn't have caught the smug little smirk on his face. But he didn't mention it. Instead, he only met the gaze and narrowed his eyes to show the demon he knew he wasn't telling him the whole truth. 

"There are a few men outside the mansion. I don't know how they know about her, but they are looking for Kadence. I believe the one I killed earlier said she would be worth something. The greed of humans will never cease to amaze me. Possibly killing an innocent girl to get what they want."

"And like you don't?" Ciel retorted with a scoff, standing from his chair and walking across the wooden floor to the window behind him. 

Sebastian said nothing, only remained in his position while his lips again curled into an unseen smirk.

"Why don't we simply let them take her? It wouldn't be any bother to us, would it? The others still don't know about her and-" 

Sebastian cut in. "Young Master, perhaps your position for the Queen should keep you from saying such things. Why, if she were to hear such things out of your mouth surely she'd find another to do her dirty work with the Underground."

Ciel 'tsked' and turned to face the black haired man. "What is it to you whether she goes or stays?"

"She is rather fascinating to watch. How easily she can scale the furniture, how she is terrified of me and yet she'll willingly crawl into my palm. Kadence seems to be determined to earn her keep. Not only that, the Borrower is one of the most curiously interesting creatures I have seen." Sebastian responded smoothly, pulling his right sleeve down. "Perhaps I shall have her help serve dinner, and you can see what I mean."

Calmly, Ciel took his seat at the desk once again and met the ruby eyes with a sharp gaze. "Fine." He muttered, his voice not as calm as his exterior was. 

Sebastian again only smirked and bowed at the waist, his hair hiding his face for only a brief moment before he exits the study. Now, to simply prepare dinner.

Darkness fully surrounded her, and she was unable to see a single thing. She could, however, hear footsteps all around her but was unable to tell where they were coming from.

The only thing she could see was a very dim candle which appeared hundreds of miles away. No, there was something else. A mirror, hanging above the candle.

Slowly, Kadence began to walk towards it, her tiny heart beating rapidly inside her chest. Every instinct told her to stop but she couldn't help herself. She felt drawn to the mirror, the candle.

The footsteps that surrounded her slowed and haunting whispers took their place. She couldn't make out much but she swore she heard her name. 

As she neared the mirror, the glass cracked, causing her to pause where she stood. But again, she continued forward. 

"Kadence." A deep voice whispered her name.

She continued moving forward, almost able to see her own reflection when there was another cracking noise, only this time the floor under her feet had thin lines through it before it shattered into a million little pieces.

Next thing she knew, she was falling. Again, she heard her name. 

"Kadence."

The floor below her was rushing up fast. She was close to hitting it, her screams stuck in her throat. 

"Kadence," Sebastian muttered for the fourth time with crossed arms, about to reach out to shake her when her tiny body sprung to life. She bolted upright, her breathing quick and shaky. He knew what it was without even having to ask. "You had a nightmare I presume?"

Kadence struggled to catch her breath, her heart still pounding in her ears. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the butler, which gave her only some form of comfort. "Y-Yes, a nightmare. Th-That's all." 

"Hm. Well, dinner is ready. Come, I want you to help. The Young Master will be arriving in the dining room in a few minutes." Lowering his hand slowly, he placed it again palm up next to the tiny, red haired female with one of his usual fake smiles. 

She didn't move, looking at the gloved fingers outstretched next to her. Images of the dream ran through her head repeatedly. It had to mean something, didn't it? All dreams meant something. Turning her emerald colored eyes up toward Sebastian, she met his crimson ones which were watching her expectantly, even almost curiously.

Despite not wanting to do anything until she calmed down, she knew she didn't currently have a choice in the matter and hesitantly moved from where she was sitting into the awaiting palm of Sebastian. It was here she began to straighten her dress and fix her hair up so she was more presentable.

The world blurred around her when Sebastian started moving. It almost made her dizzy. But she again didn't say a word while she wrapped her head around that nightmare.

Sebastian watched Kadence while he walked, her head hanging low with her hands playing and fiddling with her hair. He sort of wanted to ask about the nightmare. And he most definitely would. 

Of course, he had dinner to serve first.