Chapter Twenty

Kadence and Sebastian sat in silence on a bench in the garden, the air chillier than it was the other day when the butler found her. They both were quiet, waiting for Finnian to make his rounds to tend to the plants. 

The Borrower shivered, goosebumps covering her arms. She did her best to avoid meeting his eyes. Ciel's words stuck in her mind. 

"You are probably nothing more than a new toy to him, and once he is bored of you he will cast you aside."

Those words stung. Even if they weren't true, it made her worry. Perhaps helping on these so-called 'cases' will be her only way of continuing to live in this mansion.

His deep voice pulled her from her thoughts, his tone quiet when he spoke. "You are thinking of what my Master said," Sebastian said as not a question, but as a fact. 

Kadence couldn't bring herself to look up and only silently nodded her head. She pushed red hairs back up into the bun on her head. 

"You are worried that it is true, and that I may really become bored of you. That I'll kill you, correct?" He continued to talk despite her silence. 

"How can I not be worried?" Kadence spoke in a mere whisper, her hands shaking in her lap. Shifting in his palm, she forced herself to meet his crimson orbs observing her from above. "Y-You frighten me still, but I trust you. And those men...they are no doubt still after me. All it would take is one little mistake and he could easily order you to throw me out. And you'd have to listen, wouldn't you?"

Sebastian met her emerald gaze, brows furrowing. Something in her eyes was so intense, it made him avert his gaze. "Kadence, I-" He paused briefly, choosing his next words carefully, "I would not be able to deny an order. However, if he were to tell me such a thing, know that I would regret it. My friendship is not an easy thing to obtain. But your courage, your determined mindset is all admirable in a being your size."

His gentle words should have made her feel better, but in fact, it only made her feel worse. The way he averted his eyes from her made her wonder just what was going on through his head that he couldn't say due to his contract. "If that time ever comes...I-I ask that you just kill me. I'm skilled, but with people searching for me and the elements, I would never be able to survive on my own in the wild. So please. If he ever asks you to send me away, kill me."

Obvious shock was now plastered on Sebastian's face, his lips parting ever so slightly. His thin brows furrowed again. "Kadence. Death wouldn't solve anything. Surely you don't mean-"

"I do mean it. I'd rather die than be taken and sold as some pet to a sick man that bought me from those men. I'd rather die than live with the pain knowing that the only person who has ever shown me any hint of kindness left me alone, even if it wasn't his choice. I-I'd rather-!" She lowered her head, her voice catching in her throat. 

With sincere gentility, Sebastian took his free hand and lifted her chin with a gloved finger. He could see the tiny droplets running down her cheeks. He felt like he should feel more than he truly did. Some greater form of sadness or hesitance. Alas, it was his curse. He could only pretend what he didn't truly feel but knew if he could, that is what he would feel. "I will not harm a hair on your fragile head, Kadence."

His crimson orbs were glistening in the sun, observing her face. Kadence struggled back more tears. Kadence wrapped her arms tightly around the gloved finger that had been holding her head up and squeezed as tight as she could. She could feel him tense but didn't let go.

This was only the second or third time Sebastian had ever been hugged by anyone he showed a concern for. He felt his body go rigid, only able to stare at the small being clinging to his finger. A small smile crept onto his lips. He could tell she was calming down now, thankfully. He could hear Finny humming at the other side of the garden, getting closer. 

Kadence couldn't hear the humming as soon as Sebastian did, but when she started to hear it her heart rate sped up significantly. "F-Finny?" She whispered, sending the butler a questioning look. Sadly, she didn't have much time to make herself look presentable again. Maybe she should have waited until later to talk to the demon.

Sebastian calmly nodded and stood from where he sat. His fingers closed ever so slightly around Kadence to keep her hidden. While regaining his composure, he approached the gardener who smiled in his direction. 

"Finny. Come here. I have something important to discuss with you."