Anime and Nabokov

Now that you know what Lolita fashion is, you have to consider two things:

1.- Lolita is not anime inspired

2.- Lolita fashion has nothing to do with Nabokov's book 'Lolita'

Exactly. Let me explain to you each point.

Lolita is not anime inspired

We know anime may be more popular than Lolita. We know both come from japan. We now anime made 'kawaii' style popular. We know it. But 'kawaii' came from Japan as pizza came from Italy. 'Kawaii' style is popular in Japan, but not because of anime; it came from their culture. Remember, Japan's culture is quite different from ours, so avoid criticizing it.

Japanese people prefer a cute and innocent girl, they think that  purity makes a woman feminine. This is why most Idols in Japan consider a 'kawaii' image for the public. Also, there are plenty of alternative fashions in Japan, included as Harajuku ( Japanese street fashion; Lolita is also inculded here) that are also 'kawaii'. So, anime may include a Lolita touch or Otome-kei (casual lolita) in their characters, such as Pokemon's Lillie, Aikatsu's Yurika, Paradise Kiss's Miwako, The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls's Ranko, etc.; but Lolita is not anime inspired.

Lolita is not related to Nabokov's 'Lolita'

Sadly, Lolita fashion isn't that known outside of Asia. Nabokov's book 'Lolita' is a bit more popular than the Japanese fashion. By this reason, when people hear the word 'Lolita' they may relate it to the book. But, why shouldn't people relate the fashion to the book? Isn't it about Lolita? Not actually.

Nabokov's book 'Lolita' is about a professor who marries a woman, but he ends up  falling in love with her 12-year-old daughter, Lolita, who also falls in love with him. A movie was released after the book, in were Lolita appeared with sexualized and really short outfits, some of them almost considered lingerie. By this, people relate Lolitta fashion with pedophilia, wich is not.

One of the purposes of Lolita fashion is to make women a different image, out of necklines and vulgarity. Lolita fashion featured elegant and classy elements as lace, ribbons, etc. This fashion is quite classy and out of sexual standards. 

You can see more misconceptions about Lolita fashion in this blog from FYeahLolita

-------------> http://www.fyeahlolita.com/2011/07/10-misconceptions-about-lolita_02.html