1

A guzheng's soft melody resounded from the midst of the fog. Like the music, the fog seemed to have a life of its own- constant small movements that obscured your sight and entrapped you in a dream-like state. If it were not for the faint glow of a lantern far away, you would only be walking in circles.

Then, just as the music faded to non-existence, the fog quickly dispersed, revealing two beings seated inside a pavilion.

"Er-Shen. We've been hiding for a few centuries now. Surely the heavenly emperor's anger must have died down a little, right?" The woman asked, placing her hands delicately on top of the instrument.

"Don't be silly. The jade emperor is still sending out scouts. His anger grows every day." The man replied, creating a small flower out of light and leaning towards the woman.

"But I don't understand why he's so angry. Why is he so against our love?" She lamented, burrowing into his chest to allow her companion to insert the magical flower into her hair.

"I don't know. It's just that-"

KLANG

~*~*~

Startled by the sudden noise, I quickly sat up, ripping my dagger from under my headrest.

"You're so useless. How do you not even know how to hold a basin properly? You know how light of a sleeper our miss is!" A voice whisper-shouted.

I rubbed my eyes, all remnants of sleep gone from the urgency in my maidservant's voice.

"What if you had dropped it in front of her? This is horrible! The basin alone probably costs more than both our lives! Why I ought to sentence you to-"

"Xiao Hua," The moment I spoke, the former immediately quietened. A few hushed whispers and hurried footsteps ensued before the curtains on my bed were ripped apart to accommodate Xiao Hua's head.

"Forgive me, young miss. It's been a while since young miss has gotten new maids. This servant has forgotten how to discipline them. Um... miss, could you please move the dagger at least 2 inches away from my eyes?"

I lazily smiled at her. Retracting my dagger, I laughed, "Xiao Hua, you caused more noise than she did. I'm pretty sure you're the undisciplined one."

She merely bowed her head.

Slowly rising from the bed, I reached for her hand to steady myself. "When's breakfast? Can I just have some yams instead of rice and vegetables today?"

Xiao Hua's smile failed to reach her eyes. "Ah, young miss, Duke Han has requested for the 1st branch to eat together today."

~*~*~

The girl in front of me stood there unblinkingly. Her pale, snow-like skin complimented her dead caramel doe eyes. Under a small nose, her lips were like spots of blood on freshly fallen snow. Black hair tumbled over her shoulders in small waves, framing her flushed pink cheeks, which matched her loose-fitting jade green hanfu.

Ugly.

Fake.

I sneered at my reflection with distaste. I was a child playing dress-up, pretending that I was of noble blood when I wasn't. Everyone knew, yet they continued to perform this messed up play with me. I sighed again, turning around to come face to face with Xiao Hua's displeased face.

"Young miss, this servant doesn't think that such actions would be necessary." I raised my eyebrows.

"What actions? I am simply going to eat with my family."