4

Maybe I shouldn't have stopped at hitting my father. I should've gone back in time before I had been adopted and throttled my 11-year-old self for allowing myself to be adopted by this useless hunk of meat. Honestly, how was father in such a high position of power when all he ever did was grovel and appeal to... ah.

"I'm glad duke Han approves. I will persuade imperial father and have him send a decree within 3 days."

"2nd prince-"

"Duke Han, since the Han family is now a part of the imperial palace, surely you'd allow Bai Liling to stay here for a while. Renjun has no doubt gone to run an errand, so allow me to wait for him with your daughter."

"Fath-"

"Of course," father bowed. "Since that is what your highness wishes, my daughter will stay with you for a while. I trust that your highness will bring her back safely?"

What had I been thinking to follow a man with no spine?! Mr Han, you adopted a random country bumpkin instead of a distant nephew to humiliate your estranged second wife! Now you want to marry said country bumpkin to a prince!? This goes against everything in the agreement! Do you have no shame?

"Older brother Suwei-" I glanced over at my last hope. He was usually quite dense, but surely he had been paying enough attention to see that this wasn't what I wanted. Surely Suwei would talk him out of it.

Did that brat just look away? That brood parasite! How could he turn his back on me now!?

The second prince grinned and pulled me closer, his grip on my arm somehow tightening even more. "Do not worry, father. Liling will be safe with me."

I was a hazard to myself, but ok.

From behind me, I could imagine the prince's eyes gleaming, the corners of his lips tugging upwards just slightly; it irked me to know that I could. Yet strangely, I did not feel so nauseated by his grasp.

Perhaps, as I was too preoccupied brainstorming ways to gut father, I did not notice our departure from the garden until Lijie released my arm and I stumbled forwards slightly, astonished by the sudden change in force required to move my legs. Steadying myself, I took a deep breath and quickly looked around.

There was nothing but paved walls around us. There was a paved path behind me with no turns or people, but I doubted I could run fast enough to leave unnoticed. Not that there was anything left for me to be ashamed of.

"...It's been a while, Mingjun."

I scoffed. "You really are shameless. You must have iron for blood if you have this much courage to appear in front of me again, acting like we're on good terms and ignoring how much I've hated myself because of you."

'Did you see the body? It's completely charred.'

'It was an accident, but what was he doing in there?'

"Mingjun-"

I rubbed at my bracelet, the frigid coldness of the silver instilling the tiny fraction of courage I had left. "Why are you doing this to me?" If I didn't get all this out now, it was very likely that I'd end up saying something very very stupid. "Is it funny to you? Is this another one of these stories that you're collecting to tell to others? Is that all I ever was to you? Some... stupid, naive child who could fuel your curiosity of the world?"

Why did he have such a weird look?

"Why are you here again?" The cold seemed to bite into my skin, raw and duly invited. "Were those few years not enough for you? Must I continue to wait for and entertain you so that you can... you can..."