Chapter 5 "Acceptance"

Chapter 5

Ritsu could feel a headache coming on.

"Yes, I understand Nakamura-sensei, but I really think that perhaps you could take into consideration..."

His temple pulsed in time to his heart beat. A throbbing ache that didn't seem to go away.

"Yes, I know. But maybe..."

A whining voice that grated on his nerves sounded through the phone, harrowing his eardrums.

"Nakamura-sensei, I'm not trying to undermine your ability as a mangaka..."

He hissed as a particularly sharp screech sounded through the phone and he let out a small grunt of frustration.

"Tell you what, think over what I've just said; or actually, come over here, and we'll talk it through. Perhaps we could come to some sort of compromise on the issue?"

The opposite end went quiet, and Ritsu could hear the gears churning in the author's head.

He almost heaved a sigh of relief when the mangaka affirmed her presence at the company within the next hour, and he put down the phone.

"Hey, what's going on with Nakamura -sensei?" Kisa asked, concern colouring his voice.

Ritsu rested his head against the table with a groan, hoping to stem the oncoming migraine.

"She's being stubborn about doing a couple of promotional activities. The anime's coming out soon; her latest volume is doing well. I think...well, thought, that doing a few meet and greet events and interviews would be a good idea. But...dealing with her makes me think that it probably wasn't one..." he mumbled towards the end.

"Onodera! Where are the storyboards from Mutou-sensei? I want them on my desk!"

Ritsu gave a small sigh before pushing himself up from his desk.

"I'll get them to you by the end of the day. I'm just proof reading and finalising it."

Takano nodded before returning to his work.

Kisa winced in sympathy before turning back to Ritsu.

"Man, he's in a bad mood today. We usually don't need to get our storyboards to him until the end of this week. What'd you do to piss him off?"

Ritsu grimaced and opened his mouth to reply when Takano threw a piece of eraser at Kisa.

"Less talk. More work. And Kisa, it seems you've got too much time on your hands, so I'd like to see that draft by Friday."

"What? Don't be mean Taka..."

"Thursday."

"Wait! That's not fair!"

"If you don't want me to make it tomorrow..."

"Thursday. Got it. Right on it boss."

Ritsu rolled his eyes before turning back to his work. He could finish up at least another eight pages before Nakamura-sensei rocked up at the company.