West Egg

The West Egg Fury.

By: Jahlaiyah Lee

It was such a vast emptiness that engulfed me once I had approached the immense manor. The ethereal beauty that had rushed against my faint-timid eyes was such an exquisite work of architecture , and in that moment it left me breathless. I could see each light that glimmered against the white creamed walls , and how they reflected in the murky night sky. The sky was not all that black and taunting but it was slightly lit with a star of each fallen angels name. I couldn't fight the temptation and salacious adrenaline that had pumped into my fingertips and toes , I was in awe at the discovery that laid right here in --West Egg Island. For once I felt appeased by the affluent works that I had come across , usually I was appalled , and bewildered by such elegant taste .

I remember walking onto the pathway that was draped in a grey voidless like cobblestone grade. My ebony heels were clacking with promise against the streetway , and I peered out at the street lights that bulged out of the circular encasings and that's when I seen the people . The empty people that were draped and jeweled in golds and furs , foxes ,and minks. These desolate people who were clothed in layers to disguise the voids that occupied their empty breathing shells. I remember being yelled at by The Gawky Girls , well that's what I called them at the exact moments our paths had crossed. They were tall , and skin awfully pale , one's hair was short and cut into waves as if she was the character Betty Boop , she in fact amused me in every way. I observed her for minutes on end her lips were a vivid red shade that made her whitish grey eyes pop with every angle and glance that she had took. I could admit she did look good but I knew she would never be in the likes of my personal group. She was a bimbo of course , like the others. That was something she couldn't change. Once the doors of The West Egg Mansion opened i was struck. I soon noticed how the gawky girls were lost in the in the distance and how I was engulfed and consumed inside beauty . In pure essence of an era , a time , that of was The Roaring Twenties.

This night had reminded me of a shindig of the past , a gracious evening filled with the finest cherry and the most upper class men in all of New york. The ice was shaved into perfection and the room was glossed in delicacy and vibrance . I remember how much I despised the people that were decorated in such beautiful things , how hideous they truly were. I despised how much materialistics things were portrayed as what made those around beautiful and worthy of such love and admiration . They weren't and maybe it was strange-- strange that I observed everything so deeply and that I hated them. Strange how everything that had shared some sort of beauty and rareness I had hatred for. Well Some type of hatred. I hated what those on the outside dressed in soot and blackened in sorrow felt about us who were lucky , and that is what it was --pure luckiness they were not blessed. We were pawns to the game , seeds of those who carried greediness in their veins , those who were in vain and were more out of touch with reality than the lunatics who laid on the streets panhandling already gambled futures. Its strange maybe i'm strange --how I hated it all but was one myself. I did not try to defy the hand that I was dealt instead i played it . I sat in my overpriced silk and satin gowns , I fondled with the pearls around my neck ,and laid in my Gene Austria luxurious loveseat not knowing of what laid on the outside and I pitied their cluelessness . I pitied it .

While floating against the crowd--the imbeciles she felt were beneath me I danced amongst this crowd hoping they would all part ways causing me to be the scene , the jezebel of the night. That is when she came across a mysterious man dressed in a black suit . He was oddly satisfying for the eyes , a broad shouldered fella , with eyes like emeralds in the seething sahara desert. I was once gain awe ,he was simple unlike her estranged fiance who dressed in the finest clothes and wore every jewel he owned to show his rank in there already rigged society. I stopped in my tracks and made my way towards the mysterious figure who eyes were glued heavily to mine .

"I am Karla . Karla Dietrich , and you are ?" I had said in a seductive manner. He seemed impressed with her urge to come on to him in such a a rowdy environment without being distracted by the glitz and glamour that seem to overshadow his formal appearance .

"The man in black. He said in a low tone.

"The man in black? Mystery . I like it."

"This party , this mansion --quite of obnoxious of someone dont you think? Dragging all these folks in here for what possibly ? Mass murder." I set out a giggle hoping he would find me somewhat attractive , he seemed just as interested but also intrigued . I did not understand it .

" You think so?" he asked in a very interested tone.

"I do .Hypocrites there all hypocrites . Obnoxious , clueless to the real problems that surface this country , this world. In pity them. I'm not into parties though-- i only come cause why not? I can laugh at these imbeciles once a man had asked me " how come you're so pretty and feel so alone? I replied I don't feel connected to anything in a room full of empty people and ugly intentions ." I replied .

"Is that so? I don't feel connected to anything or-- you know anything in that matter either. I believe theres no limits to life there's always a bigger and better heights.My only connection is to that , my loyalty is only towards that." He fixed his black tie and smiled showing white pearled teeth and plum smooth lips.

--But doesn't that make you just like the others Karla?'

"No ! Definitely not ! I am nothing like these imbeciles , these disgraceful pieces of lesh , these obnoxious animals , Im not ! They have no sympathy no feelings ,nothing ! Only some quota to prove their nothing like the rest ! and the rest I mean those like you!"

"LIke me ?"

"Yes like you .Poor , halfway men who are not all the way established only connecting to dreams --not true realites . Out of touch !

" If you believe you're so different ? Do something about it ? Prove you are someone different ." He said in a unphased but snarky tone .

"I will show you!" she added. She stormed off in her diamonds and pearls and made her way to a small custodiam . I peered out at the crowd .

"Listen ! Listen! I have some truth I would like to confess."

The crowd simmered down , their faces in complete attention mode at the skinny woman who stood upon them . Higher than them , on the inside laughing at their existence.

" I believe you are blind . I believe you're all slavery to the papers that runs against your fingertips, to the diamonds that shine against your greedy palms. Wake up ! Wake up !"

The crowd had drowned in a deep silence , and then instantly began laughing in loud giggles , there were smiles , tightened hugs ,and high five claps in the steamy air. I had been ridiculed , embarrassed trying to impress a man who did not have the same ranks as I . Running off the stage she ran towards the man a smile swept across his face.

"You're no different than them. Arrogant , conceited , obnoxious , and rich. That's what you are , that's what they are."

She groaned in denial , letting out a sly laugh and grabbing at her darling mink.

"Sure ... the man in black and you sadly can't be any of those things I guess it's a rich thing."

"Its not its an asshole thing.." He said walking past her before making a pleased smile.

"Oh where's my manners .."

She turned back towards him despising his whole demeanor suddenly.

He held up a large martini glass as if he was toasting to her , "Welcome to my party .. Im Jay Gatsby ."