Chapter 7: All White Everything

My eyes fluttered as I blinked repeatedly trying to adjust to the brightness of the room

  My eyes fluttered as I blinked repeatedly trying to adjust to the brightness of the room. I looked around trying to process exactly where I was. White walls, white sheets, and a white doctor in a white coat, am I in heaven? I turned my head to the right where I saw my husband sprawled out on a small seafoam colored couch with a white sheet draped lazily over his body. His espresso colored skin offered a contrast to this strikingly sterile room. 

My hand instinctively went to my stomach as the memories from my Dr's appointment flooded my mind. I looked around suspiciously trying to figure out how I ended up here when the doctor in the room finally spoke. "Hello, Mrs. Tate! How are you feeling, any pain or discomfort?", he asked. 

I cleared my throat hoping my voice didn't come out as raspy as my throat felt. The loud noise in the strikingly sterile room woke Zach up from his sleep. Once his eyes landed on me, he realized I was awake; he was at my side immediately. I gave him a small smile as he bent down to kiss my forehead. I turned my head back to the left to acknowledge the doctor's questions. " I'm ok for the most part, just a little crampy but not too intense" I responded with a tight-lipped smile. 

The doctor nodded his head in understanding. " That's expected considering the procedure-" 

"Wait," I cut him off, " you did it already?". My lips started to quiver as I felt the waves of tears reaching the shores of my eyelids. As soon as I began to say something else, the tears I was holding back began to flow. In my mind, I was praying that their machine was broken and that there was a significant understanding. One of the devices I was hooked up to started beeping. I looked up and further left of my doctor to see what was going, but to no avail, because my eyes were cloudy with tears.

"Mrs. Tate, I'm going to need you to try and calm yourself, your blood pressure is dropping, which is one the reasons your procedure had to happen so quickly" the unnamed doctor spoke. 

I pushed my head into the flimsy pillow rested behind my head as I took deep breaths to calm myself. Zach had my right hand in his softly rubbing his thumb across it. I felt myself calming as my tears changed from torrential downpour to a slight drizzle. 

" We are going to release you today. You should take it easy over the next two weeks. You will need to set-up a follow-up appointment with Dr. Anneise two weeks from today. I'm also sending you home with a prescription for Ibuprofen and Xanax. The ibuprofen is for that the pain and the Xanax is to calm you when you feel yourself getting worked up", the doctor spoke looking more at Zach than me.

Its It's as if he could tell I had utterly blocked him. His lips kept moving, but I didn't hear a word, all I noticed was him placing the chart at the foot of the bed and walking out of the room. Zach released my hand and went over to couch. He picked up a black Nike duffle bag and came back and set it on the bed. He offered me some sweats, tank top, and under clothes. I just looked at him and then clothes blankly. He then began to move to the back of me, is releasing the top strings of the gown I was wearing. After untying it and pulling it off my shoulders, he reached for my sports bra.