|1|

It always comes to that point in life where a child wants a pet. A lovable companion for the rest of their life.

But for a 17-year-old girl, that was a whole different story.

You'd think I'd have one since all kids ask for a pet when they're young, cute, and irresistible.

Not me though.

I never had the thought of a pet until my best friend, Briana, got a puppy for her birthday last week. Ever since I've been determined that to convince my mom to let me get a pet.

~Present Time~

"No way," I said looking into the box. I was currently in an alleyway looking into a mysterious box.

"Please don't kill us!" One cried on his knees.

Wait. Whoa. Back up. This is not how this all started. Let's go back to Algebra.

~Two hours ago~

"Now students... Since it's Friday on finals week at school, everyone grabs a piece of paper!" My algebra teacher exclaimed.

"But Mr. Foshee... When did you ever give out finals?" I groaned, slamming my head down onto the desk.

"Whoa, what did I say about the self-harm?" He joked.

"Sorry," She mumbled.

"Heh. Anyways, I was just pulling your legs! There's no final!" He laughed heading to his desk. I rested my head back down onto the desk and groaned even louder.

"Hey! Who do you think I am? Your average algebra teacher?" He said taking a drink of his coffee. "You just do this to stress me out, don't you?" I whined picking my head up.

My laid-back teacher nodded in amusement. I smiled a little and turned to my best friend, Briana.

She was lost in her phone again, as usual. Probably on Instagram or something. My attention perked to yelling as I turned to a slightly tanned, freckled boy. Nathan to be exact, who brought his poker set to class.

Again.

He had a mastered poker face on his freckled features as he folded all in. He adjusted his glasses on his nose; turning his cards over with a smirk on his face.

Nathan had won another match.

I giggled at his antics as he looked up and stuck his tongue out at me. I returned the playful gesture and turned back to Briana.

"Soo..."

"So what?"

"Still up for the movies this weekend by any chance?" I asked in a baby voice with pleading eyes.

Briana gasped in shock and threw a hand to her forehead, causing me to jump at the sudden increase in her volume.

"My mom wants to go to the river again this weekend!"

"Again? This weekend was our weekend..." I replied in a low whiny tone.

"Maybe next weekend, okay?" Briana suggested putting her hand on my shoulder.

".....al--"

"It's not like your not gonna go home and re-watch the entire season of Sonic X... Ha... Um. Right Y/n..?" She rambled on about how Sonic obsessed I was. My ears and face grew hot in embarrassment at the comment.

I folded your arms and pouted again. So what if I had a few posters... And plushies... And merch..... But that doesn't mean I'm obsessed! Well... Maybe a little... But that's not the point!

"Okay..." I frowned.

She gave me another sad look and turned back to her phone. Sighing in defeat I set my head down for some quality napping.

~ • • • ~

Firmly gripping my backpack straps I begin making my way to my locker. I had to swivel around various swarms of freshman and sophomores all in their individual friend groups.

Making it to my locker, I put the combination in and threw my textbooks into the small space. Yawning, I stretched out my arms and rolled my shoulders. Some upper-class men I knew gave me a wave before heading to the doors.

The bell rang in my ears, signifying the end of the day. I jolted from my lazy state hearing the sound of rapid footsteps.

Realization slapped me in the face, alongside with being pushed and shoved by a countless mix of the four grade levels.

Looking back up to the double doors. I caught a glance of my bus getting ready to leave.

"Holy shoe,"

Panicking, I took off in a sprint for the exit. Just as I broke through the doors, the bus had just left...

"Wait...! For! Me..." I panted out, placing my hands on my knees. I stood up and started my walk home. Good thing I don't live to far away from the school.

"God, I need to exercise more... " I mumbled under my breath.

Popping one of my earbuds in I decided to check out Michael's suggested playlist on Spotify. Pulling up his account I found his playlist.

Under the name, 'get turnt'.

Laughing at the name I continued on home. "At least it's the weekend." I shrugged.

I hummed along to the songs I knew and welcomed the new ones in.

~ • • • ~

A little later on, I stopped to tie my shoe after nearly tripping several times before. I went to stand back up and an earbud fell out of my ear.

I rolled your eyes in annoyance and picked up the earpiece. I begin to walk away when a whimper came from the nearby alleyway.

"Wonder what that was?" I said out loud, mindlessly turning around and advancing towards the alley. The whimpers were coming from a box near the dumpster. I lit up with the first idea that came to mind.

A stray.

I quickly walked towards the box in excitement, thinking about how I would sneak the animal into my bedroom.

"Be quiet Silver! Your gonna get us caught!" A voice hissed.

Pausing in my tracks at the sound of the voice, I tilted your head in confusion.

'A voice? From the box?,' I thought, advancing towards the box again.

Inspecting the box closely, I saw that it was slightly open.

Hearing whispers from the box, I grew impatient. Ripping open the box, I feasted my hungry eyes onto the sight before me.

Oh boy, was I in for a surprise.