Chapter 2: First Impressions

The giantess sighed loudly.

"I wish that, just once, one of your kind wouldn't assume I mean to harm you."

You got to your feet.

"So... what are you going to do? I'm sorry for trespassing and watching you, if that's it."

"No, please, don't be afraid. You've done nothing to upset me."

"But... you're crying right now."

She looked surprised, raising a finger and wiping away a huge tear, realising that you were right.

"Oh... yes. You needn't concern yourself, it's no fault of yours. You see, this is a place I come to mourn. But I'm glad that you came here. I hadn't been planning to come back... this world has so very little time left. Your being here means I can save one more."

"What do you mean about this world not having much time left? What's happening?"

"I..." She clapped a hand over her mouth and turned away. "I shouldn't have said anything." She turned back to you. "But don't fear. You'll be safe."

"Umm... okay. My name's (Y/N), by the way. How should I address you?"

"My, this one's polite!" she exclaimed with a small laugh. "Gems usually address me as 'My Diamond,' but you can call me Blue Diamond... or, I suppose, just Blue, if it suits you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." You turned to the smaller woman, who had made her way over while you were talking. "Hello. What's your name."

"This is my Pearl," Blue Diamond explained.

"Oh. Is she not supposed to speak?"

"Hmhm, no, nothing like that. She's just quiet, Between you and me, I think she's a bit shy. Am I correct, Pearl?"

"M-my Diamond, please..." muttered Blue Pearl, her cheeks flushing a darker shade of blue.

"Come then," Blue Diamond said with a smile. "It would be best if we left this doomed planet quickly. Please, right this way."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I really can't be going anywhere. I came here with my friends, they'll be looking for me soon."

"I wish that I could save them as well, but I haven't the means to do it, and this world hasn't the time. I wish the circumstances were different. If I could, I'd rescue every one of them... but... I don't know where they would all be safe, and Yellow Diamond would never permit it. She doesn't even know that I still come here. I understand you're reluctant, and I can understand why, but..." She started to cry again. "...But please, let me save you. I... I don't want to take you against your will, I just... I cannot bear the thought of leaving you to your fate."

You were conflicted. You couldn't really abandon your friends, your species, and your planet at a moment's notice like this, but... her eyes were so kind, so old, so pleading, so full of sadness... and so lonely. You looked into her face, elegant yet melancholy, like a beautiful ghost, and found that although you couldn't bring yourself to leave everything behind, you could bring yourself to break Blue Diamond's heart even less.

"Okay," you said, forcing a smile and a confident tone for her sake. "I'll come with you."

She smiled at you again, then, without a word, wrapped a hand firmly around your entire torso and lifted you up, clutching you protectively to her abdomen.

"I'm very glad you changed your mind. Might I ask why?" she said as she started to walk.

"I'd have to be pretty heartless to be able to do that to you. Besides, from what you've told me, staying here would be a death sentence. Also, please be honest with me here, am I correct in getting the distinct feeling that you were going to take me along regardless of my answer?"

Her eyes darted back and forth.

"Probably, yes," she said sheepishly. Then, lifting her head, "But, I'm glad you said yes. I do prefer when it's a rescue rather than an abduction."

"Well, if I'm going to be abducted by an alien, I'm glad she's such a nice one."

"Oh," she exclaimed, blushing slightly. "You flatter me. Most humans in your position do not have such kind words."

"So do you, uh, have a lot of experience 'rescuing' humans?"

"Only every once in a very great while, when a wandering human and I both find ourselves in this place. But if you could live as long as I have, you would understand that 'every once in a very great while' can add up. Are you quite comfortable? I'm not hurting you, am I?"

"Not at all, My Diamond. I'm fine."

Indeed you were. Being held by Blue Diamond was actually a very pleasant experience. Her grip was secure but not too tight, and the warm, soft skin of her fingers wrapped around you felt like your entire body was in a gentle hug. You soon came to a large grey structure similar to the pink one she had been looking at earlier.

"Here we are. My palanquin will take us up to my ship."

"Huh. I kind of expected it'd be blue," you observed.

"Oh... yes, well, this one is just temporary. My previous one was recently destroyed," she explained. She looked down at you. "It's a very long story."

"Maybe you could tell me sometime?"

"Perhaps I could," she said with a smile. "We have a long trip ahead of us."

"My Diamond," you said suddenly as she stepped in, "while Pearl's catching up, I wondered if I might ask, are there any other aliens right in this area? Non-gem, possibly?"

"No," Blue Diamond replied, sitting down while taking great care not to jostle you too much. She furrowed her brow and looked puzzled. "Why? Have you... seen something?" She seemed apprehensive to say this last part.

"No," you lied, "it's just kind of a weird area around here. It seems to play tricks with the imagination."

"Yes," she said, sounding vaguely relieved. "Yes, that it certainly does."

"My Diamond?" called a meek voice.

"Ah, Pearl, there you are." Blue Diamond looked back to you. "Are you ready, little human? Or rather, (Y/N), I should say."

"I'm as ready as I'm going to be, let's put it that way," you replied with a smirk. She smiled at you and gestured with her arm. In the sky above, there appeared her ship, in the shape of a giant blue arm, which you were aboard mere moments later.