Chapter 16: I Love You Two?

Nobody was in a hurry to get back, and you had the distinct impression that the ship wasn't going nearly as fast as it could. As it traveled, most of your friends wandered off to various rooms of the ship. You decided to spend some time with each of them, just in case you didn't see them again for a while. You found Aquamarine and Zircon already engaged in discussion with each other.
“I understand that,” Aquamarine was saying, “I'm simply pointing out that we'll hardly have any opportunity to interrogate White or Yellow Diamond.”
“Yes,” Zircon replied, “but surely there are imprisoned gems who were trusted by them, who may know things we don't.”
“If one of them did shatter Pink, I'm sure they made sure that no gem who knew what really happened would be able to tell the story.”
“Hmm, I suppose I hadn't considered that, although perhaps we don't need someone who knows the full story anyway. If we can find enough who know small parts of the story, details which, on their own, the Diamonds wouldn't have cared about, we can try to piece the story together.”
“I'll look into it,” Aquamarine replied, “although I hope you realise what we're doing might amount to conspiracy, and I'm not about to take the fall for it if we're found out.”
“Perfectly understandable, it was my idea.”
“Well if it isn't Holmes and Watson,” you chuckled.
“I uh, assume that's a reference of some sort?” Zircon asked.
“Hello (Y/N),” Aquamarine said.
“Any breakthroughs?” you asked.
“Not yet,” she replied. “Zircon and I have just been trying to figure out where the best place to start is.”
“Well, I have faith you'll figure something out. You always get answers, whatever it takes, and I don't think anything’s going to stop you. As you've seen today, you won't always be able to stay in command of every situation, and sometimes you will be confused and lost and maybe even scared. But I hope you've also seen that, in moments like that, you always have friends who can give you all the support you need.”
You bent way down to hug her, assuming that lifting her up would probably damage her pride. Even though she looked a bit like a living doll from a horror movie, hugging her actually wasn't unpleasant, nor did she tense up or resist as you'd expected.
“Ah yes, umm, thank you,” she said awkwardly, unable to properly hug back due to how tiny her arms were.
“And Zircon, you were a big help today. We probably couldn't have done it without you. If I might make a suggestion about your line of work though, you aren't cut out to be an attorney. You're too honest. I hate to imagine you trying to lie for a guilty client, and even if you think you're correct, it's usually not a very good idea to accuse the judges. From what I've seen, you'd make a much better detective. Your real assets are your reasoning and your obsession with knowing the truth. Play to your strengths, like you did today. You're gonna do great things. And I hope you two get somewhere in your investigation - any answers would bring Blue Diamond a lot of peace.”
Zircon was more readily receptive to a hug. Brief, firm, and friendly, with a pat on the back. About what you expected. As you were leaving, you heard them continue their discussion.
“Are we even certain it wasn’t one of the other Diamonds?”
“It can’t have been Black, she wasn’t even made yet!”
“Time travel?”
“Causality paradox.”
“I think it’s obvious it wasn’t Blue, although with how cooperative she’s been, we can probably rule her out methodically easily enough.”
“If you insist.”
“And I don’t suppose Pink could have done it herself.”
“I don't see how either, but… perhaps we should entertain the idea, just to be safe.”
You found Holly and Jay next. The two were standing in front of a window, each with an arm around the other's shoulders, looking out at the stars.
“Ooo, what's going on in here?” you teased. Both were startled and turned to you.
“Oh, (Y/N), it's just you,” Holly sighed. “We were just… umm…” She turned to Jay. “We were..?”
“Uh, we were… not trying to fuse while we're literally on Blue Diamond's ship, and when that didn't work because we weren't doing that, we also weren't stargazing romantically because I'm not Holly's favourite and always have been. I mean, haven't been!”
“Oh my, scandalous! I thought you two had learned your lesson about keeping secrets!”
“Of course, there isn't anything to keep secret because we weren't doing any of that,” Holly said, speaking through clenched teeth for the last few words. “We were simply… trying to find the Milky Way galaxy out the window!”
“Oh, sorry!” Jay exclaimed with a cheeky grin. “I didn't realise that was what we were calling it. So (Y/N), have you and Blue ‘tried to find the Milky Way galaxy out the window’ yet?”
“Whoa there, I don't fuse and tell!” you replied with a wink. “Not really though. Actually, from the rumours floating around, I gather she has a rather hostile view towards fusion. And I'm sure today's events won't make that any better.”
“Yeah, you're probably right,” Jay agreed
“So did you come in here for anything in particular?” Holly asked.
“I just wanted to find you both so I could say…” You thought of all all the things you could say about how much Holly had changed, or how much Jay had learned to stand out from the crowd, or how much of a bond had been built between them, but decided that none of that really needed saying at this point. “…that I'm really going to miss you guys.”
Both of their faces softened.
“We'll miss you too, (Y/N). Hopefully we'll all be called together again soon,” Holly said sincerely.
You didn't need to make a move this time - they both hugged you between them unprompted. Jay was strong and beefy, but was quite gentle, while Holly, despite being similarly strong, was soft and cuddly.
“Good luck,” you said before leaving.
Finally, you came to Pearl's room, located directly next to the entrance to Blue Diamond's personal chamber. She was sitting inside with the door open, seemingly writing something. You tapped gently on the doorframe.
“Knock knock.”
Pearl looked up, slightly surprised, and smiled as soon as she saw it was you.
“O-oh, hi (Y/N)! Do you need anything of me?”
“Nah, nothing like that. I just came to talk to you. I know you aren't going anywhere, but I wanted to anyway. May I?” you asked, indicating the space next to her. She nodded and you sat beside her. “What have you got going on there?”
“I figured someone should keep a record of everything that's happened. This is only a first draft.”
“May I see?”
“I… I suppose. Are you sure? You night not like how I-”
“I'm sure, relax, since when have I been one to criticise you?”
You glanced over what she had written. It was quite a detailed account, and surprisingly enjoyable to read.
“Do you think it will meet Our Diamond’s approval?” she asked nervously.
“I'll say it will! You really have a lot of talent with this kind of stuff. You know, you're a lot more interesting than you seem to think. I hope if there's one thing you've learned from all of this, it's to never stop being yourself. You uh, you used some pretty flattering adjectives to describe me, I notice.”
Pearl blushed deep blue. You giggled at this.
“Sorry. I'll try to fix that in the next draft. I… I should probably go and… umm…”
“Hang on, you don't need to leave! I was just teasing a bit, I didn't mean to embarrass you. I am sorry if I did.”
She sat back down.
“Oh, umm, thank you. Your consideration is appreciated, but unnecessary.”
“Too bad, because you're getting it anyway. I don't want to hurt or humiliate you. Now, again, I don't mean to embarrass you, but I was just thinking that, for all the time I've been around you, I've never seen your eyes.” You held your hands near her face. “May I?”
“O-okay.”
You carefully used a single finger on each hand to part her hair and reveal her face. She had big blue eyes, which was a surprise to no one, but you were stricken immediately by how expressive they were… and by the fact that she seemed to be avoiding direct eye contact.
“Well hello, there you are!” you said in a cheerful whisper. She gave a small, sweet little smile, finally looking at you. You shook your head. “Pearl, you are so pretty!”
At this she wrapped her slender arms around you and hugged you, resting her head on your chest. You embraced her graceful and delicate form, resting your hands on her back and nuzzling your face into her hair.
At some point your exhaustion must have caught up with you and caused you to nod off for a few minutes. When you came to, you realised you were still holding Pearl, but by now her breathing was slow, her arms had released you, and, when you brushed her hair aside, you saw that her eyes were shut. You considered getting up and leaving, but decided you didn't want to wake her up. Blue Diamond eventually came looking for you.
“(Y/N)?” she called, looking into the room you were in. You smiled when you saw her and put a finger to your lips. You pointed down at Pearl, then mimed sleeping. Blue smiled and nodded before walking away as quietly as she could. You reclined to a more comfortable position, taking care not to disturb Pearl, and soon fell asleep again.
There was no dramatic buildup this time. Your dream was straightforward. You were standing in a generic empty room, and Black Diamond stood facing you.
“Hey,” she said simply.
“Umm, hello.”
“Sorry, I know this is weird. I'm just calling to say you should all probably head over to Valoccar. There's kind of a thing going on there. From the looks of things, it might be under control, but you'll probably wanna help out just in case. Before you ask, I'm telling you this because I may or may not be entirely responsible for the thing there, so I think it's just fair that I give you a hint. Didja get all of that?”
“Valoccar, got it. I'll tell Blue as soon as I wake up. Actually, I think she mentioned that place before. Anyway, thanks for the tip. And I was serious, y’know. We'll find a way to help you, and we'll bring you home, whatever it takes.”
“Heh. I appreciate the thought, buddy, but if you know what's good for you, don't come looking for me, okay?”
“Be honest with me - do you really think there’s any chance I’m going to listen to that?”
You both tilted your heads as if considering.
“Nah,” you concluded at the same time.
You opened your eyes to find Pearl already awake, staring at you intently.
“Uh, Pearl?” you said. She placed a soft, delicate hand on your cheek. “Are you feeling oka-”
You were cut off as she kissed you, pressing her lips gently against yours. You just sat frozen.
“I… I don't know how to deal with this. If you'll uh… if you'll just excuse me, I just had a dream about how we need to save a planet or something so… yeah…” you muttered, awkwardly standing up and stepping out of the room, breaking almost immediately into a run. You eventually found Blue.
“I'm glad to see you and Pearl are certainly getting along,” she said happily when you walked in.
“Ah. Yes. The thing about that is, a little too well maybe. It turns out she has a… bit of a crush on me.”
“Oh, how sweet! That's wonderful!”
“Wonderful? More like awkward, I'd say.”
“Awkward? Why is that?” she asked, genuinely curious. “Do you not like her?”
“I love you, My Diamond.”
“I know, (Y/N). I love you too. You needn't reassure me, though. I expressed no doubt.”
“So… what are you saying? That I could… you… AND her..?”
“If that is your desire, why not?”
“It's just, that isn't widely accepted on my world.”
“None of this is accepted on my world. You and I are violating nearly every rule.”
“Don't you think you'd be jealous?”
“Possibly, but it wouldn't be right for me to be. You are not my possession, and besides, Pearl is never far from me, so it isn't as though you'd be kept away from me.”
“Good point, but still… I'll have to think on it.”
“So what did you come to say?”
“Oh! Yes! Valoccar. Black Diamond was in my dream again and said we should go there. I guess there's some sort of trouble she caused, she seems to think it's probably under control, but she figures we should help just in case.”
“Did she give any hint as to what the problem is?”
“No, so I assume whatever it is will be pretty obvious,” you said with a shrug.
“We'll have to see for ourselves then, won't we?” She pressed a button. Pearl hurried in.
“I am summoned. What do you need of me, My Diamond?” she asked. When she saw you, she looked down at the floor, humiliated.
“No no, it's okay,” you mouthed.
“Pearl, can you open a channel to the Valoccaran Council to let them know we're coming? Be sure to specify we're coming to help.”
“At once, My Diamond.”
Blue pressed another button so her voice could be heard throughout the ship.
“Attention everyone, a situation has arisen, and I intend to intervene. You wanted to remain together? We have a chance right now. Blue Knights, assemble!” Blue declared with enthusiasm.
“I think that rallying cry’s kind of taken,” you pointed out.
“It is? Oh dear. Any suggestions for for a better one?”
“How about, ‘Blue Knights, transform and roll out?’” Pearl suggested. You doubled over laughing.
“Yes, yes, that is perfect! I love you!”
  “Thank you. Do… you mean that as a joking agreement, or… do you mean that seriously?”
“A little of both,” you concluded after a moment of consideration.
A few minutes later, when everyone had been gathered and a message sent ahead, Blue Diamond picked you up, setting you carefully on her right shoulder and Pearl on her left. She smiled with a sparkle of excitement in her eyes, then, assuming kinetic control of the ship, thrust forward her arm, speeding the vessel towards its alien destination.
“I love you Blue,” you said as you watched the light from the stars zipping past. “You’ve made me braver. You’ve made me stronger and kinder. And you’ve made me happy. Whatever dangers we’ll have to deal with, I’m not that worried about any of them meaning the end of my life. Because, long or short, it’ll be worth it, as long as it was a life with you.”
She turned and kissed… well, your entire head, really, considering the size difference.
“I love you too. I know you said before that we would face everything together, and after today, I feel that we can prevail against anything so long as we are. I think you have driven me to change for the better, and I shall never forget that. I will feel you in my heart long after these stars have grown dim.”
You could almost physically feel your heart grow warm at her kind words. You hugged the side of her neck, then leaned forward so you could see across to her other shoulder.
“And Pearl, I think I love you, too. We'll have to have a proper talk about this when we get a chance. I'm not sure if there would be a workable arrangement, and I'm not sure if my feelings are meant to work that way. But we can figure that out. I do like you though, absolutely. You're beautiful and you're sweet and you're talented, you can be surprisingly savage sometimes, and you're gentle and you’re funny… what's not to like?”
Pearl smiled happily.
“(Y/N)? I like you too.”
The ship came to an abrupt halt above the skies of the planet Valoccar. Blue Diamond turned to each of you to make sure you were ready, then looked to the rest of the group to silently confirm with them. It was wonderful to see a side of her personality driven by enthusiasm and adventurousness instead of regret and misery.
“Off we go!” she declared.

I know this will prove to have been a controversial decision. It isn't widely accepted, I don't completely understand it myself, and it isn't what was advertised. It just felt natural (and frankly I was suspicious this would end up happening from quite early on), and that's all I can say in defence of my decision.