Chapter 3: Are We There Yet?

"So where are you taking me?" you asked as you gazed in awe around the ship.

"To a safe place. Your every need will be provided for, and you will be able to live with others of your kind."

"I'm sure it'll be nice, but I have to be honest, that sounds kind of artificial."

"Admittedly, yes. But no natural environment can guarantee the happiness and safety of such fragile beings," she said, carefully stroking your head with a single large finger. "However, there is something else I wanted to discuss with you. Pearl, could you please leave us for a few minutes?"

"Yes, My Diamond," she replied, curtsying and backing out of the room. Blue Diamond looked over each shoulder, visibly uneasy, before addressing you.

"(Y/N), have you ever been certain, even for only an instant, that you saw something out of the corner of your eye, only to find yourself gazing at nothing?"

You gulped.

"Yeah... I have. I lied earlier because I didn't feel safe telling you the truth there. I did see something."

Blue Diamond nodded grimly.

"As did I. Could you see what it looked like?"

"I saw two things, actually. One was a female human. The other was... some kind of alien, I'd guess. It looked sort of like a human, but with a lot of missing features."

"A human female? That is news to me. But as to the other being... I've seen it too. Increasingly." She looked back and forth nervously. "I'm not confident that we're alone even now."

"It was because I saw both of them that I wandered off from the group and found you, and it was seeing the alien that made me fall when I was trying to run away."

"I know. It's as though its appearances are deliberate. As though it led me back to Earth, and led you here intentionally."

"What even is it?"

"Among gems, there are legends of a ghostly race of creatures. They call them the Unseen. Of course, they're assumed to merely be a myth."

"Until now."

"Yes," she said nodding, "until now."

"Are they dangerous? What do they want? Why can I see them, but they're gone as soon as I look at them?"

"We're in the same position, (Y/N)," she sighed. "I know no more about them than you do."

You couldn't be certain, but you thought you heard a sound no louder than a pin dropping across the enormous room. A cold shiver ran down your spine.

"My Diamond? Can you hold me again? Please?"

She appeared perplexed for a moment, but her expression quickly softened.

"Of course," she said, before carefully scooping you up. You felt your anxious breathing even out and your frantic heartbeat slow.

"Thanks. I'm sorry, I'm just kind of on edge right now. It's nothing against you, but I'm still getting used to being taken away by a giant blue monarch from space, and now I find out both of us are being stalked by invisible aliens."

"I understand. I'm very sorry you had to be caught up in... whatever this is. This must all be very disconcerting. Try not to worry too much. Soon you will not need to concern yourself with such things."

"With all due respect, My Diamond, those things led me here. This concerns both of us, and I want to help you get to the bottom of it."

"You would - no," she interrupted herself, shaking her head. "I can't place you in possible danger."