Chapter Seven

It had been two days since the water-dumping incident, and I hadn't attempted anything to pursue my personal assignment on Jonah yet because I had been too busy trying to get over the embarrassment he had left me with.

But that, my friend, didn't mean that I wasn't building any plan for the next steps of the said assignment. In fact, as well as trying to let my anger on him evaporate, I'd also been busy looking for thousands of possible ways to annoy him.

Now that I thought about it, I actually didn't have anything else planned once I finally managed to make him actually hate me. Maybe I'd continue annoying him in the most annoying ways possible? Would that suddenly turn his feelings from hate to love? I don't know, man. Maybe I'd just wing it and see where it would go?

I began to see the flaws in Operation Bite the Apple—once you'd bitten the apple, what would you do? You'd continue biting into it until what was left was just the apple core, and then what next? You'd throw the core away.

Oh, God. I really didn't know what my next steps would be. Was that bad?

Meanwhile, Jonah was just being his usual I'm-angry-at-the-world-don't-touch-me-or-I'll-fucking-kill-you Jonah Gibbs self, and nothing was new. When we accidentally (really ACCIDENTALLY, people, I'm capable of making actual accidental moves that wasn't deliberately planned) crossed path in the hallway or if our eyes just accidentally met in Life Skills class, there were two ways that it could go: 1. Jonah would glare at me and I, surprisingly, would glare back, or; 2. He would just continue acting like nothing happened, and I would roll my eyes.

Really, it was going static right now, and that was why I knew that after two days of silence, I had to do something to ignite the spark again.

The spark of what, you ask? Of love? Of hate? I wouldn't mind either of those because, hah, having Jonah Gibbs feel any emotion for you was a big accomplishment, no matter what kind of emotion it was!

School ended after gym, which was the only class this year that I had with Gina. Since she was in the yearbook committee and she was having one of those so-called important meeting after school, she couldn't drive me home so I told her that I would just take the bus today.

As I made my way out of the building, I texted my dad that I would pay a visit to the diner. He'd finally hired three people; the afternoon shift barista, the night shift waiter and another midnight-through-early-dawn shift waiter. I didn't know who he had hired yet, but I was curious because a lot of people from school had applied for a job.

I knew why a lot of kids from high school was eager to snag a job down there at the diner—the shifts were pretty flexible for high schoolers, and the paycheck wasn't half bad, which would help those high schoolers save some money for college. The diner was also pretty decently busy every day, and the extra tips didn't hurt.

When I finally looked up from my phone, I noticed Jonah making his way toward the bus also. I furrowed my eyebrows, because I remembered that Jonah had a car—a pretty badly beat up one at that, but still a functioning car. I just shrugged and hopped into the bus right after him, even though he hadn't noticed me yet.

There was still a lot of vacant seat in the front, but I saw that Jonah chose to slide into one of the seats in the back. He, as usual, had loud music blasting into each one of his ears, and he was staring out through the window next to him. Slightly smirking to myself, I made my way toward him and sat down.

Immediately, he turned his head once he felt my presence. Upon seeing me, his face scrunched into the all-too-familiar scowl. I looked at him innocently, without a word, and leaned back into the seat.

I turned my head to the other side, feeling the tips of my ponytailed-hair brushing Jonah's face. He sighed and I held my grin, pretending to be looking for a nonexistent friend. Once I turned my head again, my hair flicking for the second time, he hissed again in annoyance.