Chapter one

I lay in my cage sleeping soundly when I was awoken by my owner kicking my cage.

"Wake up you little brat." He kicked my cage again and moved on to the next that was beside me.

I woke up and stretched not wanting to anger him again. He'd been very mad at me last night when I had knocked over my water and had beaten me. I reached up and touched my face feeling where it was swollen.

My owner walked back over to my cage and I moved to the back so I was pressed against the bars behind me.

"Stay there." He threatened and he unlocked my cage taking out the empty bowls and filling them. He put them back in my cage and I went to go near them when he raised his hand to hit me. "Did I say you could move?" He shouted and hit me hard across the face.

"God damn pets. No respect for their betters. I'll never understand why we keep these humans on." He grumbled to himself. It was no secret that he hated his job.

I moved back into the corner whining and hid my face. He was about to hit me again when the shop door opened and a customer walked in. I heard his throat growl and locked my cage again.

I watched him go to the front of the shop and I lay still hiding my face with my hands as I curled up small. I didn't dare move to eat my food in case he beat me again.

My owner was a pet store owner and I was one of his pets. Until I get brought I am considered his property. I've spent the last 6 years of my life in this cage, before that I was at the breeding grounds where I was bred, raised and trained in the art of being a human pet to the leaders of the world. The vampires.

I heard stories once about how humans used to be the superior species but I don't believe them. After all they are just myths. Everyone knows vampires have always ruled the world and the stories were made up by pets who rebelled against their Masters.

When my owner returned he was followed by a tall man with hair so blonde it almost looked white in the stores reflective lighting and he was dressed in a suit that looked like it was from a very expensive place. His dark glasses hid his eyes and he seemed to scan the area where us pets were being kept.

Most of the other pets started to either hide in fear or were curious and moved up to the bars only to move back again when the pet owner looked at them. Most of the pets here were young and new from the breeding grounds and seemed to forget their position.

I on the other hand just stayed still hoping he'd pass over me like all the other buyers, but to my disappointment he came over to my cage and bent down to look in at me.

I always hated how they would just sneer in at us. I usually pretended to be asleep so I wouldn't be noticed unfortunately my swollen eye made it hard to close.

"This one looks pretty beat up." The man said. His voice was low and it sent shivers up my back and made my arm hairs stand on end. "Based on what I can see I'd say it was recent. What punishment was given?"

I whimpered quietly to myself as the pet owner cleared his throat to answer "Well..." he started to say but was cut off.

"Not you." The man interrupted. "I was asking her. A pet that is able to admit their faults and accept punishment for it is a well trained one. You could tell me anything in order to make a sale but she has to answer honestly other wise it's back to the breeding grounds." A sinister smile crept over his face.

The thought of being sent back to the breeding grounds scared me even more than the look of fury on my owner's face from being cut off and the thought made me shrink back as far as I could in my cage and bury my head in my arms.