Unexpected Interventions

The world around me is encompassed in darkness, and yet I'm being hauled through it.

"I can't believe this," Alya's voice filters through my foggy head. I squint open my eyes to find her yanking hard on my right arm.

"What..." I trail off, confusion mixed with sleep distorting my thoughts.

"Get up," Alya orders, giving my arm another rough tug.

Recollection of tonight's happenings crash into my head, making me realize that I'm still in Manik and Alya's room. I glance around the area to find light filtering in through the curtains. Is it morning? Did I spend the entire night over here?

"I said get up!" Alya yells, causing me to jump slightly. I oblige, grabbing my phone from the hand that is not held in my cousin's death grip. My eyes land on the sleeping figure on the bed - Manik.

"Alya," I whisper. "He's still sleeping, so could we please keep it a bit low?" I ask, silently pleading her with me eyes. "Manik's had a tough night."

"Oh, I'm sure," Alya replies, rolling her eyes. Her tone is still quite loud. "He had to spend it with you after all."

"Alya, you're not understanding me. Manik was quite sick last night - "

"I don't want to hear it." Alya's eyes are full of rage for me, her grip tightening around my hand by the second. Turning on her heels, Alya drags me along behind her, causing me to stumble over the hem of my lehenga.

"Can we please slow down?" I whisper-hiss, as she slams the door open, causing it to bang against the wall.

Aiyappa, why doesn't she understand? Why does Alya make life so difficult? All I'm asking is for her to be considerate towards her boyfriend, not towards me, or another enemy of hers.

Alya lets me go, my hand flopping against my side. She crosses her arms across her chest, raising an eyebrow.

"What's your fascination with my boyfriend, huh?" Alya asks, her stance serious, as if we're discussing nuclear codes.

"I would never be fascinated by a guy like Manik," I retort. "He was just sick, Alya. That's all."

"You could've called me then," Alya snaps.

"And would you have come?" Manik says before I can reply. Both our heads turn towards the room door to find him leaning against the wall. His hair is messed up, a few strands standing up. Dark circles are the most prominent features on his face now and the man looks drained of energy.

Yet, his girlfriend is fighting with me, instead of tending to him.

"Manik, not now." Alya warns through gritted teeth. "Go back inside, and I'll just join you."

"Leave her alone," Manik says in a bored tone. His words take me by surprise. I frown, staring at his face, dumbfounded. "She was just helping. That's it."

"Are you serious?" Alya questions her boyfriend, narrowing her eyes. "Are you...You're defending this girl?" She shoves an index finger towards my chest.

Aiyappa, if only this girl wouldn't talk about me as if I wasn't even present in the same vicinity as her.

"Alya, you must be tired." Manik replies calmly, as if he's had this conversation a million times and just wants to end it now. "Go to bed."

Alya glares at Manik for a few seconds, before she marches past me and into their room, slamming the door shut.

I watch the wooden door, unsure of what just happened. Did Manik really defend me? In front of his girlfriend. Am I still dreaming?

Clearing his throat, Manik steps away from the wall. I open my mouth, unsure of what I truly want to say. Unable to form a coherent thought, I shut it.

"Don't...Don't say anything," Manik says. "The favor's been repaid."

He turns around and goes into the room before I can tell him that last night wasn't a favor. I've told him this before and I'd tell him this again. It was basic human nature to care for a sick soul.

Sighing, I make my way into my room and shut the door, flopping myself on the bed. I look down at my lehenga to find it in ruins from the hem. Courtesy of Alya, of course.

Aiyappa, what an eventful morning. Can't I spend one day without any drama?

*****

"Nandini, come join us outside." Rishabh says, as he enters the kitchen. I step back from the fridge and shut its door.

"You're all up this late?" I ask, surprised.

"Not everyone's an early bird like you," Rishabh teases, grabbing a bottle opener. "Come join us." He nods his head towards the back door, turning towards it.

Considering I'm only reading in my room, I see no harm in following my brother outside and spending some quality time with the family. Grabbing a bottle of water, I follow Rishabh out the back door and into the lawn.

But the second my eyes land on the crowd gathered, I halt in my tracks, ready to flee back in. Alya and Manik are seated with Mukti. Rishabh's making his way across the lawn towards him. I thought this gathering would include Chacha and Chachi, not my beloved cousin and her oh-so-nice boyfriend.

Thank God no one's seen me yet. I can still turn and slip back in, as if I never stepped out. Hastily, I turn on my heels and take a step towards the back door.

"Nandini!" Mukti - my brother's fiancee - calls out. I stop in my tracks again.

Aiyappa, please don't do this to me. Plastering a smile on my face, I turn around and face her.

"Hi, Mukti." I say, offering her a wave. She gestures for me to come over.

"Join us, babe." Mukti grins at me warmly. If only she knew not everyone shares the same feelings as her. My eyes cut towards Alya, who is as usual busy on her phone. However, the man seated beside her is staring at me. As always.

With leaden steps, I make my way towards the group and lower myself onto the seat beside Manik, since that's the only vacant place.

"Nandini, where were you yesterday night?" Mukti asks, leaning towards me, a beer bottle clutched in her right hand. "Didn't see you around and nor were you there for any family photo."

"Um...I wasn't feeling too well," I lie, diverting my gaze towards my feet. I've been told I'm not a very good liar, and that eye contact makes the situation even worse.

"Oh, are you okay now?" Mukti asks, laying a hand on my shoulder comfortingly. "Even Manik was suffering through something. Some dish must have really affected the two of you."

"Yeah," I reply. I can feel Manik's eyes boring holes into the side of my head. Through the corner of my eye, I notice a beer bottle in his left hand. Unable to control myself, I turn my head towards him, eyes wide.

Is this man really doing this to himself? Just yesterday he was lying in bed, half dead, and now he's pumping alcohol through his blood.

"Manik, what're you doing?" I ask in a hushed tone, so that only he can hear me. As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I regret them already.

Aiyappa, what have I done? Did I just willingly start up a conversation with Manik?

A/N: Hey ya'll! I'd just like to say, thank you so very much for all the support you've been showing this book up till now. I truly hope you are getting the same pleasure from reading it, as I do from writing about these beautiful characters. Please do keep voting and commenting - constructive criticism is also always welcomed - I truly appreciate it. Thanks once again! Take care and stay safe xx