Time To Cleanup

As I'm grabbing a glass of Coke for myself, I notice Manik slip back into the lounge, and make his way towards where Alya is at.

Smiling, I take a sip. He came. I knew he would.

"Manik's okay, right?" Amms asks, coming up beside me. I nod my head, looking away from him.

"He's here," I say. Amms is offering me a secretive smile, as if she's in on a secret I don't know. "What?" I ask curiously.

"Nothing," Amms mumbles, her dimple popping out. Still smiling, she turns around and heads for the snacks table.

Well, that wasn't odd at all.

For some reason, I find my eyes traveling back towards Manik. He's watching me. Are his eyes always fixed on me? What does he see that is so fascinating he keeps staring at me?

Subtly, Manik lifts his hand hand towards his lips, resting his index and middle fingers underneath his lower lip. With his right index finger, he taps the dial of his watch, the corners of his lips fighting to break into a smile.

"Ten minutes," Manik mouths. Before I can control myself, laughter escapes my lips, a grin breaking free across my face.

What a child! Did he actually try to prove me wrong by saying he took ten, instead of five minutes?

I shake my head in amazement at his immaturity. Glancing around, I realize some of the guests are watching me. I'm sure they're wondering as to why a lone girl is laughing as if she's just heard the funniest joke in the world.

Pressing the tips of my right fingers to my lips, I suppress my loud laughter. Silent laughs, however, are still shaking my shoulders.

Aiyappa, Manik is a one piece creations of Yours.

I look back towards Manik to find him watching me, amusement clouding his eyes. The corners of his lips are still struggling to break free, but he's keeping a tight check on them, not allowing himself the pleasure of a smile.

Why?

Aiyappa, why is this man so different from the rest of us? What's there that's always holding him back?

*****

I've been staring at the same page for the past fifteen minutes, reading but not absorbing the words.

First he wastes my time when he's around, and now he's also wasting it in his absence?

Aiyappa, why are you punishing me like this? Frustrated, I slam the book shut and swipe it away from my body.

Manik's words have been haunting me since I came up to my room.

And if you don't know how to love, he had asked me tonight. What's that even supposed to mean? Everyone knows how to love. It's a feeling we harbor in the deepest parts of our heart.

Even a newborn baby knows how to love. Manik's question makes no sense whatsoever. Love is a part of us all, no matter how small of a portion it occupies in the hearts of some.

The vision of him tapping his watch enters my head, making a bout of laughter erupt from me once more. Who would've thought the Devil has a childish side?

Loud banging against my door causes me to snap back to the present. Hastily, I get off the bed and bolt towards the door.

Aiyappa, I hope everything's alright? Amms...No, I'm sure she's fine.

Hurriedly, I unbolt the door, and yank it wide open, the handle banging against the wall at the back. Alya is glaring at me from over the threshold, her chest heaving up and down at an ungodly pace.