Chapter 13: If you wouldn't mind

One week later - Aubrey's POV

"I'm sending Stacie over to give you your clothes." Chloe told me.

"Why does Stacie always happen to have free time?" I asked with a chuckle.
     I could practically see Chloe's eye roll over the phone.
"Apparently, most of her classes are on the weekend, so she has plenty of time during the week." She said. "Anyway, I'm glad they're discharging you already. We've missed you."

"I highly doubt that." I chuckled.

"Oh, you shush." She said.

"Hi Aubrey!" Someone else said over the phone.
"Is that Stacie?" I asked.
"Yeah, she's here to pick up your clothes. She'll be over soon."
"It's not like I'm going anywhere." She laughed.

                      Stacie's POV

I knocked on Aubrey's door while holding a paper bag filled with her clothes.
"Come in." She called as I opened the door. Aubrey was standing next to the window and looking outside.
     "Hey you." I said. She turned to face me.
     "Hey." She smiled. There was an awkward pause.
     "Well here are your clothes." I set the bag on the bed. "I'll be outside." Before I could walk out the door, Aubrey spoke up.
     "Wait." She called. I turned towards her. "Can you maybe, uh, you know." She blushed and pointed to the bag of clothes before gesturing to her arm that was in a cast.
     Suddenly, I realized what she was trying to ask me.
     "You need me to help you change?" I said with a small laugh.
     "If you wouldn't mind."
     "It's not a problem." I told her.

     She turned to face the other way and I slowly started to lift up her hospital gown, hesitantly.
     "Don't worry. I'm wearing a bra and underwear." She reassured, letting out a nervous chuckle.
     I was thankful that she was facing the other way so she wouldn't see the heat rising to my cheeks.
     I slipped the gown over her head, making sure not to hit her cast.
     I grimaced when I saw the cuts and bruises on her upper back. There were bandages wrapped around her torso, covering the large wound in her side.
     My eyes trailed down her back, and in that moment, I don't think I was in control of my body.
     I reached out and ran my hand along the back of her neck, where the bruises started. I resisted the sudden urge to kiss her exposed neck and shoulders.

                    Aubrey's POV

     I felt a hand touch the back of my neck. I froze.
     Stacie's hand trailed down to my upper back, and my breath hitched. I closed my eyes as the feeling of her hand on my skin sent jolts of electricity up my spine.
I flinched when her hand trailed over my side, and Stacie pulled away quickly.
"Shit, I-I'm sorry! Did I hurt you?" She rambled.
"No!" I reassured. "I was just a little surprised." She let out a breath, and turned away to grab a T-shirt from inside the bag. Carefully, she helped me put on the T-shirt and jeans. She didn't look me in the eye. Not once.

After changing, I gathered my things and went downstairs with Stacie. We had to go through the boring discharge process of prescriptions, appointments, and financial arrangements, but finally, I could leave.

"It's almost noon." Stacie said after we got in her car. "Do you want to grab lunch?"
"Yes please. I'm starving." She laughed.
"Well there's this new seafood place downtown. Let's go check it out."

"I haven't had this good of a meal in like a month." I said, eating more of the sushi.
"True that. This stuff if amazing." Stacie agreed. "By the way, I never got to ask. How's your side?"
"It only hurts when I put too much pressure on it or when I bandage it, but overall, it's fine." I said. She nodded.
"And the arm?"

"It's just really uncomfortable." I admitted with a chuckle. "Not much pain. And why didn't you tell me your full name was Anastacia?"
     She choked on her sushi.
    "How the hell did you find that out?" She asked, taking a gulp of water.
     "You had to sign your full name on that form in the hospital, Anastacia Selene Conrad." I teased. She hid her face in her hands and groaned. I just laughed.

     "Why are you so embarrassed? It's pretty!"
     "Liar. No it's not pretty. I absolutely hate it." She said, still hiding her face.
"Am I the only person who knows?" I asked. "Other than your family of course."

"Yep, you're the only one." She said. "You special little shit."

                      An Hour Later

We got in Stacie's car again after lunch. We were both stuffed.
"Best. Lunch. Ever." She said, starting the car. "We definitely need to go back there next time." I smiled at the fact that there would be a next time.

     As we were driving, I realized how much Stacie has done for me. I caught a glimpse of a familiar pathway on the side of the road, and an idea came to mind.

"Hey Stacie?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you free the rest of the day. There's somewhere I want to show you." I said. She gave me a curious look.

   "Yeah, I'm free the whole day. Where do you want to go?"
     "Just pull over right here." I said. She hesitated for a moment. "Just trust me." I reassured her.
     She pulled over on the side of the road and we hopped out of the car.

                      Stacie's POV

     After getting out of the car, I reluctantly followed Aubrey down this dirt pathway along the side of the road.
     "Bree. You're kind of worrying me." Aubrey rested a hand on my shoulder.
     "Don't worry. I just want you to meet some people." That didn't really reassure me whatsoever, but I followed Aubrey anyway.
     I became even more confused when the path led to a large cemetery. Aubrey didn't say a word as we walked over to a particular grave.

     My eyes widened as I figured out who Aubrey wanted me to meet. I stared at the gravestone in front of us. It read:

                         Andrea Posen.
             Loving Wife, Caring Sister
                          1965-1991

     I was meeting Aubrey's mother.

Chloe's POV

"This is an amazing plan." I said. Beca gave me a questioning look.
"Are you sure this is the best idea?" She asked.
"I know what I'm doing, Becs. Don't worry." I winked at her, and she sighed.

"You're lucky you're cute."

     A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for over 400 reads, I really appreciate it! I won't be updating as often for a couple weeks because I'll be on vacation, but I'll try to publish at least once a week. Again, thank you all so much! 😘