Chapter 15: Maybe then

Stacie's POV

     When I woke up, I frowned when I realized I was the only one in bed.
     I sat up and saw a folded piece of paper on the lamp stand that said, "Stacie."
     Opening the note, I smiled to myself.

————————————————————————    
Dear Stacie,

        Morning! Sorry I'm not there. I had class this morning, and you looked so peaceful sleeping there. I didn't want to wake you up. There are leftovers from that sushi place yesterday if you're hungry.

            Love,
                   Bree :)

P.S. - You really like to kick me in your sleep. I'm physically hurting. ;(
                 Yours truly,
                           Aubrey's legs
————————————————————————

     Giggling, I put the note back on the table, and walked to the kitchen.
     On the way there, I caught a glimpse of a few framed photos on the bookshelf.

     The first photo was a picture of Chloe and Aubrey in Bella uniforms. In the bottom of the picture, someone had written, 2009. This was their freshman year, I thought.

I moved to the next picture. It showed a man in what looked like an army uniform. Aubrey's dad maybe.

The last photo was of a little blonde girl, Aubrey, holding a guitar. She looked about 9 or 10.
     I smiled. Aubrey looked absolutely adorable in this picture.

___________

Aubrey's POV

     "Hey Bree, wait up!" Chloe called from somewhere behind me.
     "Hey, what's up?" I asked, as Chloe caught up and walked beside me.
     "Oh nothing much. How about you? Does Stacie snore in her sleep?" She asked, giving me a wink. I forced back a smile.
     "Nah, she just kicks me a lot—" I answered, then stopped myself, shaking my head in confusion. "Wait. How'd you know that Stacie stayed in my dorm?"

Chloe's eyes widened, as if she'd just let something slip.

     "I-I mean, she did pick you up from the hospital, and I just, uh, assumed that she'd  you know, stay over."
     She tried for a convincing smile that was too good to be true.
     I've known Chloe for 4 years, and I know when she's hiding something. Her cheeks would flush in slight embarrassment, and her fingers would play with the hem of her skirt.

Chloe only smiled that way when she did something.

      "What. Did. You. Do?"

    "Well... I kinda might've sorta bribed a guy to hijack your elevator, but I promise it was for a good cause—"
     "You what?!" I exclaimed. "You did that?"

    "It worked didn't it? Stacie did stay over so it must've worked." She said triumphantly.
     "Chloe Ann Beale, do you realize what you did?" I asked. She gulped, knowing I only used her full name if I was really mad.
     "Bree, I can explain—"
     "Yeah, your going to be doing a lot of that." I interrupted. "Did you know that Stacie's claustrophobic?"
     "What?" She asked in shock. "I didn't know that."
     "You didn't even think about that before hand, did you? You just went on with your little plan."
     Chloe's eyes narrowed as I started walking away from where she was standing.
     "Maybe I wouldn't have had to do it if you weren't such a damn coward." She called after me. I stopped walking, but didn't turn around.