10//date

"So, Bon, it's a bit cheesy but I hope you're ready for this," Luke said as he pulled into a parking spot in a lot I didn't recognise.

"I'm always ready for anything with you," I whispered, leaning in for a quick kiss. "Let's go." He was out of the car and helping me out before I knew it.

"So, I didn't want to do anything too fancy but also not like cinema and a meal, so I have a little picnic set up in the park, I thought it'd be cute. Plus, the weather is good at the moment so we may as well take it for granted," he grinned, leading me down the tree-lined paths of the park. Suddenly a plain of grass came into view, with a picnic blanket and basket laid out beautifully. Luke helped me to sit down, and as he sat opposite me, he pulled out a bottle of champagne. "Do you want to pop it?"

"My pleasure," I said, taking it from him and twisting the cork slightly over enthusiastically, watching as it rocketed off out of sight. "Oops." I shrugged, waiting for him to pull out something to pour it into.

"What are you waiting for?" He asked, glancing at me with confusion written all over his face.

"Cups, maybe? Glasses? The Holy Grail?"

"Shit," he murmured. "I forgot cups."

"Looks like we're drinking from the bottle," I giggled, taking a quick sip before handing it to him.

"I can't believe I was so stupid," Luke commented, and I leant back, my head resting on his thighs.

"It's cups, babe, it's not like you forgot the actual champagne. Or the food. Well, I'm hoping there's food in that basket, otherwise I'm going home."

"There is definitely food. Have a look, take your pick," he instructed me gently. "And get me a spring roll or two while you're there." I picked out a few bits of finger food, passing him the rolls as requested.

"This is so cute," I told him as I settled back onto his legs.

"Thought we should celebrate your new job without my parents and brothers getting involved," he said. "Have your parents celebrated at all?"

"I've not seen them in two weeks," I scoffed. "They've been in Japan."

"I don't get how that works. How do you just leave your kid alone for so long?"

"You act like I'm 12, Luke, I'm 21!"

"I'm sorry babe, it just blows my mind."

"I'm moving out soon, anyway," I said, immediately regretting it.

"What?"

"I, er, I've been saving up, there's this apartment that I've found, I have a meeting with the landlord tomorrow and I should be moving in within the next couple of months," I admitted. "And I haven't told anyone yet in case it falls through but I've been packing stuff up really gradually."

"How far away from me is it?"

"Fifteen minute drive. Not that far, babe," I assured him. "It's not like I'm leaving the country."

"But you will be soon," he pointed out.

"Not for another year, I have so much training before they can deploy me."

"That's not that long, in the scheme of things."

"Says the man whose life goal is to tour the world," I retorted, getting up ready to storm off.

"Bonnie, that's my dream."

"It's also mine," I shouted, turning on my heel and breaking into a run, as far away from him as I could get. I was out of the park, twisting down roads and alleys until I was somewhere I vaguely recognised. I finally stopped, collapsing against a wall, trying to get my breath back. I pulled my phone out of my pocket - no texts from him. I couldn't believe how hypocritical he was being, I knew he didn't like the idea of me being a soldier but I'd supported him through everything trying to get the band to blow up, but as soon as I tried to make myself independent and get ready for my future career he kicked off. I rolled my eyes as I ran a hand through my hair, pulling it back off my face.

Suddenly, the day's events caught up with me - Springer attacking me, Luke kicking off - and I choked on a sob, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I desperately tried to blink them back - Bonnie Foster didn't cry. I clenched my jaw and pushed myself off the wall, ready to find my way home.

In typical Bonnie style, I reached my gate right as Luke pulled up outside his house. I hurried inside, praying he hadn't noticed me, and pulled all the curtains shut. I headed up to my room, ready to stick something cheesy on Netflix to take my mind off things, when I heard him tapping on the wall. I groaned and decided to move rooms, back into the living room so I didn't have to be reminded of him, but instead he started messaging me relentlessly, blowing up my phone. I glanced at one of the messages - we need to talk, please baby - and I rolled my eyes before turning off my phone. I turned on the TV to watch anything, thanking god internally when Jane the Virgin came on. It was something I hadn't watched with him so didn't associate with him; I finally relaxed into the sofa and let the tiredness consume me.

***
I was awoken rather rudely by consistent knocking at the front door.

"Leave me alone, Luke, I don't want to talk to you," I called, only for the knocking to move to the window.

"It isn't Luke, it's Maria, now let me in or I'll sleep on your doorstep." I went to open the door and Maria pushed through, followed by Luke.

"Oh my god, get out of my house," I told him. "Leave me the fuck alone."

"Bonnie this isn't like you, what's happened?" Maria asked.

"I'm not telling you while he's still here."

"Please, Bon," Luke pled, but I shook my head.

"You're acting more like my father than my boyfriend, acting like you have the right to tell me what I can and can't do, and I won't stand for it, get out of my house!" He looked at me pleadingly, then finally retreated out of the door.

"Right, Bonnie, tell me what happened," Maria ordered, and I relented at last.

"There's someone at work, he asked me out the first time I met him and I said no so now he's getting violent, he had me against a wall before and he would have... I don't know what would have happened but I didn't feel safe, I had to retaliate," I explained. "Then when Luke got funny with me before obviously I didn't want to go through any more shit today."

"Right, I'll go and talk to him. Settle on the couch but don't lock the door and I'll be back in a bit."

"No, please don't tell him. Springer will kill me," I croaked. "He wouldn't hesitate."

"Tell someone at work," she insisted. "Please, Bon."

"If it happens again," I compromised. "Look, just tell Luke I've had a rough day and I don't want to see him unless I choose to."

"Okay, honey. I'll be back in a minute." I nodded as she slipped out the door, and I went to lay on the sofa, pulling a blanket over myself and concentrating on whatever cop show was blaring on the television. Soon enough, Maria snuck back in, sitting at my feet and rubbing my leg reassuringly.

"What did he say?" I sniffled, trying to disguise the tears that had been rolling down my cheeks.

"He says he understands, and just come back to him whenever you're ready," she whispered. "Do you have any ice cream in? We can eat that and forget about it for a bit."

"Top shelf of the freezer." She headed off to retrieve it as I channel hopped, looking for something we'd both enjoy. "Grease?" I called.

"Absolutely," she agreed, coming into the living room with a spoon sticking out of her mouth. I grinned at her and set it up before diving into the ice cream myself.

"Love you," I whispered to her.

"Love you more."