Voices

A/N: This story is actually included in my Bliss poetry collection. It's one of my favorites :) While it is a prose poem, it does have that surprise ending.

"I need a connection to Miss Rodriguez, please," the smooth-sounding man said into the phone. "Of course, sir," said the soft-sounding woman. Her voice stirred a desire in the man to see the lips that moved and the ears that listened. The records of their calls performed a duet between the pair for days, but eventually, an audio video wasn't enough. They wanted an official music video to add dance steps to their duet. "Where do you want to meet?" he asked. "Right outside my work building. Let's see, I'll wear a red and blue dress. What will you wear?" she questioned. "Jeans and a white shirt." She could hear the smile in his voice.

The next day, the lunch bell chimed, and she stepped out of the building, her eyes instantly finding the white shirt with jeans. He stood out like a firecracker, but she did not marvel at him. The man's receding hairline would never get to be stroked by her hand. His bushy mustache would never know the cool touch of her cheek. He did not fit into the mold she had built her whole life. She took her sunshine-colored outfit and walked away before he could even start to guess who she was. The next day, she dialed his number and scolded him on how he could dare stand her up! "I waited for you, and you never came!" The man couldn't get a word in before she slammed down the telephone. Later that day, she went out on her lunch break and bought herself Firecracker popsicle. She only took a couple bites before the sunshine melted away the treat into a red, blue, and white puddle.