t w e n t y - o n e

[WARNING: There are vivid scenes of death and torture in this part]

This one's not as bad as the last... I promise...

My feet push me forward and when I reach the spiral staircase, I realize where it is I am going. I push up the stairs and a purple wall created with magic flies up in my face, forcing me to fall back down the stairs slightly. Slamming into that wall forced the wind out of me. I breathe heavily as I try to stand up as fast as I can, but it feels like forever.

Faint sounds of heavy laughter fill the air. The inside of the castle is unharmed for now, but I am sure I just caused many knights and the demon to follow me in here. I look up at the top of the stairs, but the purple magic wall is still standing there.

How am I going to get around it? Is there another way?

I spin around and find the doorway I just ran through is already blocked off by black armored knights. But the evil sorcerer is nowhere to be seen just yet. I know he is no far from me at all. I will probably never get away from him. Images of Ma and even my little brother Lance fill my mind, and something clicks within me. A type of instinct or something. I push myself down the staircase and find myself face to face with those soulless red eyes once again. That feeling I once felt rises within me again but I quickly push it away as a wave of anger fills the space instead.

"No! You will not reach my mother or get through me to my brother!"

Something within me told me not to stand for this. I glance down towards my blade, and it shimmers brightly in my grasp.

Could it have possibly been you, Falchion?

Like the blade heard me, it flashes with a quick purple glow and responds to my connection to it that I sent without even realizing it. I narrow my gaze and nod towards the shimmering blade in my right hand.

Then, let's do it, Falchion. We must protect Ma.

Maybe I can stand up to the evil one. I just don't know what to do when he controls me with his spells though. And his speed. He is so fast. But so am I. If I cannot defeat him, then I will use my skills to keep him away from Ma and myself. At least keep him away from Ma. If she is the only way to defeat this demon, then I have to do something. But what if I can't...

Maybe it would be better if I just take her place.

I shake my thoughts out of my head and allow my magic to finally flow freely through me once again, a feeling I almost forgot how it feels. Falchion slips out of my fingers and bursts with shimmering energy and obeys my commands. I look behind me towards the knights and with a simple flick of my hand, I make my own splash of mischief and stop them in their tracks as well with my own wall of magic.