III

The woman put the supper on the table as she and her daughter sat down.

I hesitated until she told me to sit down as well.

Her daughter was watching me curiously as I stared at the dish that I had never seen before on my table.

Does Mum like this dish?

Suddenly I felt my chest tightening.

Did Mum like this dish... that should have been the question...

"Don't you like stew? Don't be picky sheep boy", the girl said and smirked proudly.

I don't know what I did that she thought of me as a picky person.

"No. I apologize. I was lost in thought", I took the spoon and tried some of this dish called stew.

In books stew looked more... delicious.

But it was a warm dish, my body felt warm again.

The only thing I eat is bread, some tomatoes from the garden or conserves that some random person leaves in front of my door.

"It's tasty", I muttered and the woman smiled.

"My husband isn't here today. Work got him busy. Eat all you want", she patted my head and I felt that the girl was watching me with narrowed eyes.

Does she hate me?

"How long will you stay?", she asked me and watched every movement I did.

Before I could answer the woman said: "Until tomorrow. Then it must be safe again."

It was the truth and still something felt off.

"So, you really saw a wolf?", the girl leaned over and was awfully close.

I felt how the heat in my face spread.

"W-Well, I didn't see him directly but- ", I stuttered and she smirked again.

"Tell me how a real wolf looks like next time", she nodded and her silky blonde hair that was quite long almost fell in her bowl.

It must be bothersome to have such long hair...

"Actually, I hope I will never see one", I stated and poked with my spoon on the bottom of my bowl.

"Wow, that's boring. Like imagine he would eat all your sheep", she laughed and I shivered.

Without my sheep I wouldn't have anyone, anymore...