Chapter Two

Jace: Hey. What did Hodge say?

Me: He said that I'd probably have to go to the Bone City.

Jace: What?!

He said upset as he stood up. I flinched a bit.

Jace: Sorry. C'mon.

He said grabbing my wrist.

Me: Where are we going?

Jace: Back to Hodge. There's no way you're going there.

Me: Why not?

He ignored me as he went into the library dragging me behind him.

Jace: Hodge.

Hodge: What is it Jace?

Jace: You can't send Savanna to the Bone City. At least not by herself.

Hodge: Why not?

Jace: We don't know what going on with her. Why send her there? They could do something bad to her! Hurt her. Kill her!

Hodge: Jace you're overreacting.

Jace: No I'm not.

Hodge: Would you like it better if I had them come here first?

Jace: Very.

Hodge: Fine. I'll send them a letter.

Jace nodded and grabbed my wrist pulling me out again.

He pulled me into a room.

Me: Is this your room?

Jace: Yeah.

Me: It's nice.

Jace: Thanks.

Me: So who are the Silent Brothers.

He opened his mouth to talk.

Shelly: They are part of the Clave. They don't talk and don't make any sound when they walk. They usually keep their faces hidden. I haven't seen one's face before, but I think Jace has.

I looked over at him and he wasn't even paying attention anymore.

Shelly: That's weird.

She mumbled.

Me: What is?

Shelly: Nothing. By the way, Brother Jeremiah is already here.

Me: I'm guessing Brother Jeremiah is one of the Silent Brothers?

Jace: Yeah.

Me: I'm ready to go.

Jace and I went back to the library. There stood a man in a long, heavy robe that fell from his neck to foot, covering him completely. The hood was hiding his face. It was also a parchment color and the intricate runic designs along the hem and sleeves looked as if they had been inked there in drying blood. I felt myself stiffen up as he faced me and pulled his hood back. His head was bald, smooth and white as an egg, darkly indented where his eyes had once been. They were gone now. His lips were crisscrossed with a pattern of dark lines that resembled surgical stitches.

Hodge: It's OK Savanna. Jace, you can leave.

Jace: Alright.

Me: Jace?

Jace: Yeah?

Me: Please stay?

Jace looked at Brother Jeremiah and Hodge.

Jace: OK.

Hodge: Just stay out of the way Jace.

I heard him mumble something under his breath as he went on the other side of the room.

Brother Jeremiah came over to me. And I drew in a breath.

Jace: Wait. Savanna, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Me: It's fine Jace.

He nodded and let Brother Jeremiah continue.

Brother Jeremiah raised his hands that were covered with runes and touched my face with his paper like fingers. I closed my eyes. A lot of memories came back. Suddenly, I heard Jace's voice.

Jace: That's enough Jeremiah!

My eyes snapped open. I looked as everything came back into focus and saw Jace standing where Jeremiah was. I looked down at my hands and saw red where my fingernails were digging into my the skin of my palm.

Jace: Savanna, look at me.

He whispered to me gently grabbing my wrists. I looked at him.

Jace: Are you alright?

I saw that he had a....concern look and tone of voice. I've never seen him like this before. Not even after that demon attacked me.

I nodded.

Jace: Let's go to eat.

Hodge: Not yet Jace.

We both looked at him and Brother Jeremiah.

Brother Jeremiah: There's a block in her head. I can't get past it by myself. She'll have to come to the Bone City with me.

Jace: I'm coming too then.

Me: Jace, you don't have to.

Jace: I want to.

I sighed and nodded as we followed Brother Jeremiah.

We arrived to the Bone City and we followed Brother Jeremiah down hallways until we got to another room where there were more of the Silent Brothers. Brother Jeremiah went and sat with them.

Brother Jeremiah: Step onto the Speaking Stars.

I looked to where he pointed to see there was a square with a circle of stars inside of it. I stood in the middle and went through the same process as back in the library. As they went farther into my head the pain got worse. I felt my knees hit the floor.

Jace: STOP!

I felt hands grab my arm. I opened my eyes to see Jace.

Brother Jeremiah: There's a block in her head with a signature from Magnus Bane.

He said before they all got up and left. I looked at Jace. He was looking at my arm. I looked and saw a cut. It was actually pretty bad.

Jace: Hold still.

He said before taking out what I found out was called a stele and put it against my skin drawing a run over it.

Jace: That's a healing rune.

I nodded as I saw the cut had healed.

Jace: Now let's go get something to eat.

I nodded and followed him out.